Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Smart kids

The Wonderful Elle (link on sidebar) has a 3 year old boy who is scary smart. The kind of smart where it goes beyond making you a proud parent, but the kind that gives you a shiver up your spine when you realize that you need to parent this special child in such a way as to foster their intellect but also their emotional and social maturity. My mother used to alwasy tell me that stupid kids are easier to raise and she was soooo right!

Katie said the word banana, using it correctly, at the age of 9 months. She was reading 2nd grade books before she entered kindergarten. In school she was constantly in trouble for talking and getting out of her seat. We finally figured out that what she was doing was finishing her work quickly then helping all the other kids with theirs. She didn't see why it was wrong to help!

Ashley missed the sum total of 1 question on last years state-wide placement testing. This is one of those tests where over 3 days they test language, math and science skills. One wrong answer. Over 3 days. Last year she corrected one of her teachers during class. The teacher did not appreciate it and Ash got in big trouble. The teacher said she was goping to settle this and took Ash with her to the library where they had another teacher look up the correct info. Ashley was right, the teacher was wrong, and Ash received an apology in front of the class.



Then there is this little guy. His head in enormous for his size. It grew so fast and so big when he was a baby that they sent us to have a CT scan just to be sure there wasn't a problem. Nope, all brains. His pediatrician calls him Jimmy Neutron. He is constantly amazing us with the words he knows and uses appropriately. He also, for more than a year now, has been sight reading words. One day, a year ago, he looked at the headline of the newspaper and read it out loud to his father.

This morning, as I klissed him good-bye he looked at me and said, "If you were unemployed at your work, you could stay home with me." All I could do was shake my head. In fact, I am still shaking my head.

Oh, by the way, that is Levi's natural color. He is not anemic and is quite healthy besides being a skinny little munchkin. He's just inherited my Danish albino coloring. He can thank me later......

6 comments:

Bobbi said...

WOW! Your kids are scary smart. Congratulations!!

Anonymous said...

You are so blessed and you certainly deserve it. Your love for them just oozes from your writing. It doesn't surprise me that they are so smart with a mom like you.

HappyKosmo

Anonymous said...

My son has Tourette syndrom OCD and ADD. When he was 12 he had to leave public school and he now goes to a school for kids who have severe disorders. He is 16. He feels he doesnt measure up to other kids and wishes he had a normal life. He was an only child and when he was 12 from his tender heart asked WHY CANT WE ADOPT? So we decided to do just that. We now have a daughter from Guatemala. God has a plan. He works through us. :).
Congratulations!!
Laura

Pattie M said...

I stumbled across your blog and I enjoy reading it so much. The stories Children lead us to tell are so amazing. Your little guy is the cutest thing and I'm sure he keeps you on the go. The girls are beautiful and I hope your other two cuties are home soon as well.
Happy Holidays
Pattie Miller
from South Florida

Anonymous said...

I wish my kids were that smart. My boys are that white, though. Darn genes!

Krystal said...

Smart cookies, for sure!

Bah ha ha ha ha -- do people really think he has anemia? I'm sure Levi will be so appreciative of his coloring... just like my PG, who will undoubtedly appreciate the irridescent glow that she inherited :)