Monday, December 10, 2007

Kangaroo Ranch

Monday. Ugh.

Katie's throat isn't any better than it was 4 days ago, maybe worse. We see her regular doctor today. They need to get this infection under control ASAP. Her tonsils are touching together in the back of her throat and there is greenish/white chunky stuff coming out of them. I didn't go to medical school but I'm pretty sure that is a really bad thing. The one on the left is about the size of a golf ball and you can feel it on her neck as a large lump. She isn't eating either. For me that wouldn't be a problem, but when you have 8% body fat you just don't have any reserves to pull from.

We have been discussing getting some domestic ducks in the spring to live on our pond. Supposedly they make great pets, are good with kids, will lay lots of eggs (I'm not going to do egg duty, no way am I sticking my hand under duck butts) and are lots of fun to watch. Right now it's just a thought. We'll see.

What we really need to get are some kangaroos. There was an article last week where researchers (again with the damn researchers) discovered that the gas that kangaroos pass is not destructive to the environment the way cow flatulence is. In fact, due to their specific digestive processes, the gas is actually good for the environment. I remember when they did the study on cow gas at Iowa State Univ. near where I was living. I would drive by fields of cows grazing, and attached to each ones backside was a gas-collection/monitoring device. The poor cows would look at me with those large brown eyes that begged for me to save them from the horror of it all, and I all I could do was giggle at their fate. (Seriously, what poor student got the joy of connecting the devices and emptying them????) So what we really need are kangaroos on our land. I took the time to look in our subdivision regulations and no where does it say we cannot keep kangaroos. We are good to go! (I wonder what kind of fence we will need....)

Yesterday I was talking on the phone to my folks. I called upstairs to see if anyone wanted to say hi to them, and Levi calls back down, "I'm sorry but I am very busy helping my KK." My heart swelled at how polite and grown up he was!

Then later I saw him doing something and I checked and he had torn up a small piece of blue foam and stuffed the pieces up his nose, and I am reminded he is only 4 years old.

3 comments:

Gail said...

Did you see Al Gore getting his Nobel today? You are going to be next if you don't watch out.
Gail

Kim said...

I have the throat thing going on too - but mine is just in one tonsil. I went a saw an ENT today (he's a friend of mine) and he was about ready to drain it. I bet that's what she needs....not fun!! (but I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on tv!!)

Anonymous said...

Have you asked the doctor about mumps? Our city is experiencing an outbreak, even amongst kids who are vaccinated.

Hope she feels better soon!

CJ