Thursday, December 20, 2007

I am blown away!

When I posted yesterday it was more of a vent for my over-stimulated psyche and not a plea for support. I am absolutely blown away by the comments everyone left!!!! I am humbled and blessed by all of you! I have tears in my eyes as I type tonight. I can positively FEEL the support and love emanating from all of you. How did I get so lucky to have found all of you?

First, I have a special shout-out to 'Mommy', who posted that she has also been dealing with this agency for 14 months and we need to talk. Please e-mail me at waitingforahren@yahoo.com. We need to share and support each other! It's not just you and me. Apparently we are part of a much larger group that I didn't even know about.

I am left often to wonder why. Why 2 bad cases? Why us? Why our children? I think my 15 year old had the answer. She told me she thinks God chose us because he knows we won't give up and we will fight for what is right. I have known for a very long time that a lot of changes need to be made in adoptions, and not just international adoptions. Domestic cases need help, too. Somehow, somewhere along the way, the system became less about the children and more about money, regulations, laws, control, money, power and money. I understand how it happened. In a lot of cases, one bad egg spoiled it for everyone. Someone stole a baby and passed them off as their own. Someone took money to give up a child. Someone adopted and then abused a child. Even though the majority of people adopting, people giving up children, people involved in the process are good, some people ruined it for everyone else. I hate those people so very very much. I especially hate the ones who make money off of people's desire to adopt a child.

People set out to adopt for emotional reasons, but some people set out to work in adoptions for purely selfish reasons. Adoption agencies are businesses that deal in a highly emotional field, and yet they are 'businesses'. They offer a service for a fee. If you hired a house painter to paint your house, but they messed it up, didn't complete the work, didn't keep you informed about the progress and always had excuses, you would be furious. If they were delayed due to faulty paint, bad weather, or some other reason beyond their control, you would understand, but expect to be kept informed and that as soon as possible the job to be completed. In adoptions, it's a 'buyer beware' situation. You give them tens of thousands of dollars, get no guarantee, and no control. You may or may not ever get a child, and heaven forbid if you fall in love with a specific child. In the adoption biz children are interchangeable. I know because we were offered a 5 year old girl instead of our infant daughter after she was injured. (It turns out the 5 year old girl was not really available and has since been returned to her birth mother due to paperwork discrepancies)

It is so hard. All we wanted was to add to our family through adoption. Simultaneously have a child and also save a child. Why has everything gone so horribly wrong? I have no answers, but I do know that I will spend the rest of my life working for adoption reform. No child should be left behind. no child should suffer at the hands of inferior foster parents. No child should be un-loved. Not when there are many, many loving families fighting to bring children home.

Thank you to all of you. I couldn't keep fighting for our kids without the strength I get from you. Some days I just want to give up. Put all of this behind me. Move on. And then I read the comments and know what I need to do, and I have the power to do. Thank you, all of you, and God Bless you!!!!!

9 comments:

Kristi said...

Wendy - we too are dealing with the same people. Too much to go into here but the same kind of crap. It's rampant with them....it's AWFUL!! We'll make it through somehow, some way!! Much love - Bamagirl!!!

Kathy said...

I think your 15 yo is right! A teacher once told my class that God only gives you what he thinks you can handle. You and your family must be super strong! You will all be in my thoughts and prayers.

Corey said...

I am delurkuring... I read your blog almost daily... I have been trying to adopt for 4 years... I have the most unethical agency under the sun... I lost a referral after 18months, i visited this child 5 times... It took me 14 months to get my son home... My daughter got out of pgn 10/16/07, it took 6 weeks to get her birth certificate, now we cant get pink...
Agencies are awful...They play on our fear, our love for our children, and they use it against us to do what they want.
I will never understand why so many get throught the process with few bumps...and others hit every curve, bump and pebble on the way
I enjoy your blog and find encouragement in it

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy,
I have been following your blog for a little while now, and I have been thinking about your situation almost all day. I prayed real hard for you this a.m. and I will keep on doing so everyday. You really do have much support we all want your kids home with you!! Your heart is big and I know it is breaking, but God sees and hears and feels your pain, He knows you are right in this, and I really do believe that he will make sure your sweet babies come home to you. :) Adoption pulls on our hearts, and it is not easy to go thru, but remember with God ALL things are possible and God is on your side. God asks that we look after widows and orphans in their distress, and that is what you are very willing to do. He will make sure you get your babies. Please hang in there, thru the toughest times He carries us like footprints in the sand.

God Bless you sweetie,
aleahs mom laura

Melany aka Supermom said...

My heart goes out to you. You are so right. You have every right on the world to be upset with them. With how your little girl has been treated. How you have been treated. I love the way your 15 year old put it. I do hope that early in the new year, you will get to bring her home...little Ahren too

Anonymous said...

Your daughter is right on the money I think. So many people would have given up by now with everything that you have been though. If I recall correctly, even your agency wanted you to give up on PBJ and pick another child. Those babies need you and one day (hopefully soon!) they WILL be with you.

Kelley said...

You go girl! This brings new meaning to "No Child Left Behind"
Stay Strong!

Anonymous said...

Katie is right!!! You are chosen for a reason. I know first hand what you are capable of... You are going to make history and save many!!!

LouLou said...

Wendy,
We are standing and fighting with you! No one will rest until all our children are home!!!!!

FIGHT ON!!!!!