Friday, December 14, 2007

Sinking into the abyss

I was doing so well, keeping my spirits up and heading into the holidays in the right frame of mind. Life is good, we are blessed, what a lovely time of year! And then this week came. There isn't one specific thing I can point to as the culprit. I have all the holiday shopping and decorating done so that isn't stressing me out.

Maybe it's that of my 5 kids, only 1 will be with me on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. What is Christmas without kids? Or maybe it's that I still have no idea if/when two of those kids will actually live with us. Or maybe it's that work sucked this week. Sucked majorly. Or maybe it's the weather, cold and rainy (which killed half my outdoor Christmas decorations when the plugs all got wet) Or maybe my heart is just 3 sizes too small. (a little Grinchy humor)Did I mention work sucked?

I think I will spend the weekend doing some things that I like to do instead of all the things I have to do. Do you ever feel that way? That as a grown-up everything is 'have to'? By the time I get everything done I don't have the energy left to do something I want to do! How pathetic is that?

Now, for a follow-up on Psycho Substitute Bus Driver. Apparently I was not the only parent to call in to the school, but, in typical school fashion, no one believes the kids. I was told not to over-react, it was probably only a couple of minutes and that the kids deserved it. I know my children aren't perfect by a long shot, but come on! I had talked to Katie the day before after she got on the bus and she told me that there were only 5 kids on the bus because of the rain. This doesn't jibe with the driver's account of a loaded bus of teenage crazies. Plus I spoke to Katie while they were still sitting in the parking lot and it was 30 minutes after the bus usually leaves the school. This is one of my biggest pet peeves about public school. The kids and the parents are always wrong, no matter what. All I can say is if it happens again I am going to go Big Chunky all over someone!!!

Here is a conversation I had with Katie yesterday:

Me: I love you
KT: I love you too.
Me: You're a good kid.
KT: You're a good mom!
ME: Well, I'm not sure my parenting has anything to do with you being a good kid. You're probably good in spite of me.
KT: Yeah, you're right. (Said with a smirk and a giggle)

Here is a conversation I had with Levi:

Me: Santa is coming.
Levi: No he's not. We don't get any snow.
Me: Santa still comes even without snow.
Levi: No he won't. You have to have snow.
Me: Really, Levi, he still comes to lots of places that don't have snow.
Levi: Mom, he's not coming. (With a look on his face as though I am the dumbest thing in the world)

So today I had a friend at work, who has a big deep voice, call him and say he was Santa and promise to come to his house. I can't wait to see what he says when I get home. Poor kid, thinking Santa won't come if we don't have snow. All together now....Awwwwwww.

3 comments:

Gail said...

I would have loved to see Levi's face when "Santa" called.

You should live where I do. The parents and children are ALWAYS right. We have lost some good teachers and other school employees because of it. I'm not saying the psycho driver was right. You know your child and I believe you.

Gail

A said...

You need to go to the superintendent and/or the school board. Show them your phone records or Katie's where it shows she called half an hour after the bus should have been long gone from the school.

If that doesn't get anything done, do what any red blooded american would do, take it to the press!

Anonymous said...

Wendy,
Just wanted to drop you a note to tell you how much I enjoy your blog. You are obviously a great mom with a wonderful sense of humor. I love reading your accounts of daily life with your family....if I am having a frustrating day at work I often log on and read your post and get a quick little pick me up. Hope you have a great weekend doing something fun.
Marianne