Saturday, December 22, 2007

More cookie art

OK, today I get back to normal, ordinary, holiday-stressed me. I can't dwell on the adoption related stuff for too long or I will absolutely lose it. As is, it takes everything I have not throw an absolutely horrific 2-year old tantrum, kicking and screaming on the floor, wailing like a scalded monkey. Let's not go there.....

Yesterday we had Round 2 of cookie chaos. In an effort to entertain a 7, 4, and 2 year old, I pulled out the sugar cookie recipe and set to work. We made dough, rolled it out, used the cookie cutters and carefully baked pan after pan of edible art projects (well, maybe not so edible after the decorating)



Tubes of colored frosting, 10 different colored sprinkles, red hots and jelly beans, sugar, sugar and more sugar. We were all set. Plus, this time I had an extra set of adult hands to help. Nanny!




A lot of the candies and frosting ended up in the little mouths instead of on the cookies. Well, actually, some went in the mouths and then onto a cookie or two, but we discreetly separated the ones with the gooey jelly beans. (Or did we????)



After a bunch of practice cookies, I gave them each a large teddy bear and a star cookie to decorate especially for Santa. A lot of serious effort went into those cookies, since they were for Santa.

Here is the special cookie Levi made for Santa. He is, um, 'special' all right!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok Wendy, I don't know if it's the angle of the picture or just my dirty little mind but that Santa sure looks "special" all right. Hope you have a very Merry Christmas enjoying that special little man of yours.
Amy

Anonymous said...

Levi is definately creative... The decorating with red hots is directly from you. I remember thinking that poor Santa would need two glasses of milk after eating the cookies that you left for him. As far as the other part of the decorating...? I hope that Santa is not insecure...

Reba said...

I don't know that I have ever signed, but I have followed your story for a while and pray that you will soon have your little ones home. This (cookie decorating) is a holiday tradition at our house too. A messy one but the kids love it. However, I cheat and buy those wonderful sugar cookie sheets by Pillsbury. Anyway, have a very happy holiday season!

Ellie said...

HAHAHA...

Now Wendy... What are you teaching little Levi??? That was so funny... It is like 6:30am on an SUnday morning here, everyone is a sleep... I am howling so loud...

Love Levi... Love both of your sense of humor... And most of all... I WISH YOU AND ALL OF YOURS a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

HUGS ELLIE

happykosmo said...

You always manage to make me smile even in the mists of grey.

Thank you and thank Levi for making that very special cookie!
HappyKosmo

Crystal said...

Wendy--I am going thru my own He** right now--Thank you for your candid honesty. My sweet baby boy was neglected in foster care too. This does not seem to phase my agency, or my lawyer. There are other things they have done but I cannot talk about until we are out of PGN. We are so in love with him and I just want to bring him home. I am frustrated right now beyond words. I am so sorry for what you and PBJ have endured --I am so sorry I can completely relate--There are no words I can say to ease your pain I too am there and there are days I truly feel like I am numb --All that is getting me thru is my faith and my beautiful children I have now--I am truly sorry Wendy just please know you are not in this alone

Pattie M said...

Love Levi's cookie!! What a great laugh, thanks for sharing that.
I understand about being divorced with kids, my husband and I are great friends with his x and her husband and it is so much easier on the kids. I wish there were more divorced parents like us!! The kids are usually with thier Mother on Christmas but this year we have them and we are so excited.
Merry Christmas!!
Pattie Miller