Tuesday, February 12, 2008

My cuties and a busy month ahead

You all crack me up! I love reading your comments. You are all thinking the same thing I am. These two kiddos look great and the transformation in PBJ is miraculous. I got the doctors report from the pediatric neurologist today and it states that all of the hydrocephaly (fluid buildup around her brain) is gone, she is rapidly progressing in motor skills and her prognosis is excellent. She is up to 22 pounds and 31 inches tall. That is a whopping gain of 8 pounds and about 4 inches since October. Yeah, tell me she is being neglected. If neglect means she is eating well, gets lots of attention and sees doctors regularly, then you bet she is neglected. Morons! 
The next month around here promises to be extremely crazy. Tomorrow Katie gets her upper braces back on to fix the drift of her teeth. This weekend we are going to try and get the 40 trees we bought planted, just in time to leaf out. In one week, we leave for DisneyWorld for vacation (Woot!) The day after we get back Katie has another cheer competition followed by her last competition the following weekend. And then 4 days later she gets her tonsils out. See what I mean? A busy month for sure. 

Katie seems to think that the day after she has her tonsils out she can go up to her dad's house (5 hour drive) and spend the week of spring break with him. I am sure he is fully capable of caring for her, but it's not going to be much fun. Unlike when kids are 4 years old and have their tonsils out, it is going to take her a full 2 weeks to recover. The first week will be a codeine-induced haze, not much fun. Plus there is the risk of bleeding, in which case we have to get her back to the hospital for surgery right away. The risk of bleeding at her age is much greater. I don't want to tell her she can't see her dad, she doesn't get to see him nearly enough as it is. But I don't think either of them have an inkling of what they are in for. I had my tonsils out at 19 and I remember it being worse than childbirth without an epidural! I would rather go thru childbirth again 10 times before I had my tonsils out. I guess I will just have to take it day by day. Maybe he can come stay a couple of days down here and visit. You know what, being divorced with kids SUCKS! 

This morning, Levi was lying on the floor when I let the puppy loose. She ran right to him, little nubby tail wagging like crazy, and he announced, "She found the Land of Levi" That kept me grinning all the way to work. 

3 comments:

Kim said...

I'll let Katie know how it goes - mine come on on Thursday!!! I pick up my gallon jug of Percocet tomorrow. :)

Vanessa said...

Ditto the tonsils out vs childbirth!! I had mine out when I was 19 too and not to mention I had a 2 year old son at the time and I would TOTALLY give bith again rather than have to get my tonsils out!! I can truly appreciate the fact that I can swallow still till this day!!
HUGS
Vanessa
www.mommyslilblessings.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I remember your tonsilectomy experience. I will keep Katie in my prayers. At least this month will go by quickly with less time for anxiety... Maybe.