Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Adoption Journey

How can such a simple wish turn into such a nightmare. All we wanted was to add a child or two to our family and to share the blessings we have with children. I find myself pondering these questions over and over again. How could it all have gone so wrong? Why us? Why these babies? Why 2 bad cases?

This was a very tough weekend. We learned that the agency will be moving PBJ to a new foster home immediately. They have many reasons but I think the biggest reason is that they are trying to distance themselves from anyone and anything associated with their former Guat coordinator. They made one good point in that if the coordinator did not pay this family all the money due to them the family could use PBJ as collateral to get their money. I don't believe they would do this, but I have no way of knowing for sure. I have demanded a new family that I can communicate with. One that has internet or speaks english. I have also demanded that the new family have the ability to continue with PBJ's therapy and visits to the neurologist. They tell me they are working to arrange this.

I also found out our case did not get registered with the new Central Authority. I got a lot of excuses instead. They told me not to worry because 1) they 'know someone' who can fix it, 2) the judge in the Court of Minors can fix it, and 3) they filed it without the right paperwork and it got kicked out but that holds a spot for us. To me, #3 is our only hope. The new law clearly stated that cases that did not get registered last week would NOT be grandfathered in under the old system. That would mean we would have to wait for the new system to be put in place and then start all over again. No one even knows what the new system will be or when it might be up and running.

As if all that wasn't enough, our lead attorney supposedly quit, the 2nd in charge atty is difficult and not cooperating, and the judge in minor's court has not ruled on our case. The social worker in court feels the birth mother is mentally impaired and incapable of understanding her rights. PGN feels the case is fraudulent because how did the BM pass the initial social worker interview back in 2006 if she barely can speak, is illiterate and mentally impaired? The US Embassy was told by PGN that they feel the case is fraudulent so they have that flagged in her file now. Great.

And through all of this, my mind and my heart keep going back to one sweet little guy who will never be coming home to a family. The precious little guy in the overalls I met on my first visit. The one whose family decided they didn't want him after all once his case was finished. He is essentially abandoned. The family had numerous offers to take him, they just had to finish the adoption and let him come to the US. People offered to repay them all the money they had lost and to help with his paperwork. They didn't want to do that. Instead, they sent letters to Guat declining the child, but not soon enough for him to be available to have a new adoption started before the laws changed. My heart is broken in a thousand pieces for that precious little guy.

And I continue to ask the questions with no answers. Why? How? For what?????

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't get you out of my mind all weekend. Now I see why. My heart bleeds for you and my tears flow. Yet, I cannot help the way that I would like. I love you.

Ellie said...

Oh Wendy...

You are in my prayers... So are your kids... Something has got to go right...

As for the "other" little guy... I can not beleive that the family is so F@#$ SELFISH... THEY NEED TO GET SOME MEDICAL ATTENTION OR A BRAIN TRANSPLATE, cause the one they currently have in there head HAS TO BE ON DRUGS...

Anonymous said...

Praying for another wonderful foster home for PBJ and wishing she could come home to you. Sweet angel, she's been through so much. I'm really, really glad that she got that amazing neurology report before she had to be moved. Stay strong, Wendy. You're one tough mama.

Krystal said...

I am so sorry. If there is anything that I can do to help, I am here for you. (((HUGS)))

Dawn said...

Wendy,
I am just sitting here crying. There are no right answers to any of this. It is the epitomy of human evil. I am so sorry dear friend. So very, very sorry.
d

Kristi said...

Wendy -- I am so sorry! We are stuck in the same junk with the same people as you! At some point someone has to be accountable for something!! I am heartbroken for your family!! Much love - Bamagirl!

LouLou said...

Wendy,
Do you want me to ask my people some questions for you??? I TRUST the with my life.... Just let me know what you want me to ask, and I will find out tomorrow.

Lou
lou0728@yahoo.com

Candy said...

OH WENDY...I am going to SCREAM JUMP UP AND DOWN and THROW A FIT IN THE FLOOR all FOR YOU...I really hope you are still coming tomorrow after all this SAD and DISTURBING NEWS...I really want to talk with you...HUGS

Angel said...

I hate it. I really do. It's not fair or right. It's just crazy awful and truly unbelievable. I am so sorry. Sending you a hug, Angel

Anonymous said...

Absolute ridiculousness. What are these people doing? Adoption is taxing, however with your babies its one thing after another. Something has to give here. Maybe you should contact Lou, she mentioned in her comment, that she trusts her people. This cannot continue, you need help.

Laura

Anonymous said...

Very saddening, very maddening... the saga only continues. I am praying for you and your family.
(((((HUGS)))))

bellagirl said...

Okay, if they are moving all the kids to get them away from any connection to H & M, how about Dr. R, he is in the picture because of M!!!

I'm sick to my stomach. All our cases are looking worse by the day and no child has come home since October with MS.

Please pray for our lost children.

Melissa

Anonymous said...

Just so everyone understands OUR side of the situation.... we did NOT just abandon this little boy that we began bonding with in June of 2005!!! To imply that is so beyond hurtful!!!!!! So that everyone else knows, we had ceased our quest to adopt this child when he was 18 months old at the end of December of 2006 when his case had not moved in a year. The facilitator acknowledged our decision but decided to continue processing it anyway. We heard from Adoption Associates letting us know this fact in late spring. We then did not hear another word from anyone until the sudden announcement that the case had been released from PGN at the end of October. We had just turned in our paperwork to attempt to adopt domestically through another agency. We spoke with our social worker through this agency and our original social worker whom we had stayed in touch with throughout this entire ordeal about the situation in detail. It was explained to us that if we decided to follow through with the original adoption attempt, it would mean that we would not be eligible to adopt for at least one year. It would also mean that our parental rights would be terminated at some stage, and that would put us at risk of NEVER being able to adopt at all. In some states, the situation would be reviewed by a judge and then the family could pursue another adoption. Not in Michigan.

We spoke with Carol Slater about the situation and had Joni's office draw up papers so that this child could be adopted by one of the other families interested in providing him with his forever family. We signed the papers and had them sent out IMMEDIATELY! We were contacted by Bosque's office shortly before Christmas that he needed a letter from us in order to process the case for another family. We drew up another letter, had it notarized again, and sent it directly to his office. He claimed that he never received it, so we did it a THIRD time and mailed it out again. We have done all that we felt that we could to get this child on US soil. To imply otherwise...

We have been blessed with twins that we brought home at two months old just before Christmas. It does not in any way diminish the pain that we still feel when we think about the little man whom we were matched with when he was less than two weeks old. I was advised to not check this blog out as it would be hurtful, but thought that the people who had been with us on this journey would be a little more selective about what was said and what was allowed to be posted. To allow us to be called "F@#$ SELFISH..."??! Seriously!
~Amanda