Sunday, February 24, 2008

I killed Steve

We must have the most confidant, relaxed turtle in the world. He loves to sleep laying on the bottom of his tank, head stretched out, arms stretched out, and back legs fully extended palms up. At least once a week, I see him like this and go running to his tank thinking 'I killed Steve'. And each and every time I bang on the glass and he lifts his head and blinks bleary eyes at me. What an odd turtle he is. But he is awesome. He has brought us untold entertainment, not to mention my weekly 'I killed Steve' moment. 

We have Pavlov's deer. Every evening as I drive into the driveway, I am met by a herd of deer (20-25) waiting in the edge of the woods for me to put out the deer corn. As I get the bucket of corn and walk out to their spot, their tails begin to wag and their ears perk up. As soon as I drop it an begin walking back, they are on their way to eat it. They get within about 20 feet of me, but no closer. I want to work to where they will eat form my hand, but it may be a while before I get there.
Today I planted a nursery of the bare-root trees I ordered. I planted them all close together and will fence them off from the deer. Once I know which ones make it and they get a bit bigger I will move them to a permanent spot. I got so busy and focused on planting trees I accidentally planted something else!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your pictures. What beautiful children. Thanks for sharing,
By the way we are embedded in snow and ice, and your outdoor pictures sure makes me long for summer!!
Laura

Anonymous said...

Who names a turtle Steve? Don't forget to water that funny looking tree with a smile...
Thanks for reminding me to plant my tomatoes. I love not living in snow!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I have been reading your blog for some time now. I just have to comment. I don't even know how I found your blog. I believe from a blog to another blog to another blog, and then here I was and now I am hooked. your entries are so funny, I laugh and cry reading them.
We have something in common though, Cheer. My daughter cheers for Green Bay Elite. We just returned two weeks ago from Dallas Texas. I looked for your team when we were there, however I didn't see them. Maybe one of these days we will be at the same competitions??
Thanks again for all the laughs!!

~Michelle
michellew@new.rr.com

Anonymous said...

Awwwww, STEVE is TOO cute! I'm glad you haven't killed him... YET!!

HappyK