Thursday, August 30, 2007

Back-to-school is killing me

Why, oh why does back-to-school time have to be so insane? I took Katie shopping last week for clothes. The child continues to grow so none of her pants fit, and heaven forbid if she wears shorts (even though it's 100 degrees outside) The school forbids shorts that do not reach the ends of their fingertips. The problem is, even if her shorts are that long, she has so much leg still showing they send her to change anyway. Capris are OK, but we have never had any luck with shorts or skirts.
So we head off to the local Mall, which resides in the middle of Preppie-ville. It is, of course, swamped with other families scrambling to outfit their kids at the last minute. We don't usually wait until the week before school starts, but this year Katie was at her dad's then on vacation the previous 3 weeks, so it was last-minute or nothing. We start at one end of the mall and work our way thru the 'cool' shops. She finds shirts, shoes, accessories, etc., but no pants. It's not her being picky, either. They just don't have her size. She is a size 2 with a 36 inch inseam. Seriously. I couldn't make that up. She is built like Barbie and if she wasn't my child I would hate her. We end up at a pricey jeans store that specializes in unique sizes. They have all their jeans by waist size and length. Voila! We find pants! We even find one pair on sale ($66) The other two were $98 each. (Chris, take a deep breath and sit down!) The one good thing is these are much better quality than the ones we have gotten from the 'cool' stores in the past. There, you have to pay extra for the tears and worn spots. Maybe these will actually last. We got them slightly long, too. (37 inches) so if she grows more this year she can still wear them. We trak thru the remaining parts of the mall, pick up the last few items and wearily head home. (OK, so I was weary, she was still bopping around full of energy)
Then there are the school supplies. I fondly remember the days of paying $30 for pre-packaged school supply kits. Ahhh, the ease, the simplicity. Now, in high school, each class has a separate list. These are handed out during the first week of classes. Then all the parents head to the 2 local stores to buy up all the needed items. Katie got her list for geometry yesterday, so I stopped off on my way home.
Protractor - check
Ruler with metric - check
Scientific Calculator - check
graph paper - check
compass - none to be found
I get home, minus the compass, and find out I forgot binders. Arghh! So much for my mental list. Today at lunch I will be off to find a compass and binders. Then tonight I will get the next list.....
Levi started Pre-K a couple of weeks ago. He went to preschool last year 2 half-days a week, so I didn't think this would be any different. He is at a different school, 2 full days a week, one that is more convenient for me. The first couple of days went well. Then they had a day where they brought in a water slide for the kids, as an end-of-summer celebration. I guess the kids got a little wild and noisy and Levi got overwhelmed. Ever since then he has been afraid of school, cries uncontrollably and has a complete meltdown. This is so not like Levi. On Tuesday when I tried to get him dressed he ended up wound around the legs of the desk, hanging on for dear life, begging not to go. I ended up leaving him home with nanny. Again, this morning, if I even mentioned school, he fell apart. I am going to withdraw him today. I can't see how traumatizing him is going to help. I will wait a few weeks and then see if he can re-join his old school. It is not as convenient, but much smaller, quieter and more controlled.
Ashley is living with her Dad in Dallas and going to school there. She is in 7th grade and a cheerleader. Her dad got the joy of getting her ready for school this year. (I can't say that without grinning, so I apologize) Dad's don't usually get to experience the special joy that back-to-school brings. Especially shopping with a pre-teen girl. I have this picture in my head of him trying to help her find clothes, shoes and accessories. Ashley is our prima donna and I am sure she led him a merry chase thru the stores. Good thing he is a good sport and a good shopper. He is a fun dad, so they probably had a great time. I'm sad I missed it......

1 comment:

Esther said...

Yes, back to school is insane!! My oldest just went off to his first day of middle school this morning. Big moment!

Buying all the school supplies has gotten out of hand. The schools provide lists and it "only" cost me about $250 bucks to outfit three kids with the list requirements. I need a loan.....