Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Can Duct Tape Fix This?

When I was growing up, my Dad was the best fix-it guy in the whole world. He could fix anything. His favorite tools? Duct tape, super glue and a piece of wire. (You would have to ask my mom how many times he glued parts of himself together) He was a vertiable McGuyver with those three things. I was Daddy's shadow and used to go with him on erands and to the hardware store, always there to hold the flashlight (although never quite correctly) and hand him a screwdriver. I learned a lot of my handy-girl skills from him.

So fast forward to the present day. We are in the new house, which is way cool (sorry, hanging out with my kids too much) and there are about a zillion little projects to do. During the week I get nothing done. I leave for work at 6:30 am, get home at 5:30 pm, cook, clean, run kids to practices, bathe kids, try and talk to my husband (I think I still recognize him) and prepare to do it all over again the next day. The weekends are set aside for 'projects'. The list is endless, but it just got ten times worse. Our house was hit by lightning Monday afternoon. Luckily, per the new housing codes, we have the whole house grounded to the foundation, otherwise the damage could have been so much worse. As it is, the security system is fried, we lost some light switches, blew one TV completely, tripped all the breakers and whatever else I have yet to find. Also, our main PC is down. That happened before the lightning, though. Chris downloaded the latest Window's updates and now the computer goes into emergency shutdown mode every time you start it up. Even the Safe Mode cannot start it up. Help Geek Squad! That computer has all my pictures and camera software on it, although I have systematically been backing up all my photos to disks. I still can't download anything new.

We also do not have grass. We spent all weekend preparing for grass. I picked up rocks, sticks, and construction debris, killed weeds, raked and smoothed dirt for HOURS in the 100 degree heat, only to have it RAIN yet again. All the topsoil we hauled out of the ditches? Yep, right back in the ditch. The best part? Our 120 pound lab will not get his paws wet and muddy so he has taken to relieving himself on the driveway. Do you have any idea how much poo a 120 pound dog generates or how incredibly vile it can smell in the heat? Don't think I haven't thought of using duct tape and super glue to fix that problem!!!

So right now I have a brand new roll of duct tape, the double pack of super glue and a bunch of wire......and no way to use them to fix the stuff that is broken. Daddy????? Help!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wendy- you are too funny. I do know how much poop a dog can put out, I always had to go clean up after our dog growing up- I hated. I still hate the smell of dog poop (anytime of the year). Sorry to hear about the grass and the lighting strike. Hopefully the computer will be functional soon- or perhaps you need a new computer????
Love and hugs to you,
Momma Bug