Monday, August 06, 2007

Why you do dat?

I am pretty much an open book about our adoptions. In the 2 years we have been actively pursuing them I have talked, written, posted and told our storiy to anyone who would listen. It is no secret to anyone who knows us.

A couple of weeks ago Levi was invited to a birthday party for a friend's child. At the party were lots of other families that I did not know. People would ask if levi was my only child, and I would answer that I have 5 kids. Two older girls and a boy and girl we are adopting. I know this opens me up for questions, and people can ask the strangest things. I have a great sense of humor and nothing they say bothers me.

At this particular party was an older woman who was raised in China. She had the most pleasant accent and was so nice. She was asking me about my kids, and when I mentioned we were adopting, she asked me, "Why you do dat?" She didn't say it in a way to make me feel like she thought I was crazy or that she didn't like it. She was genuinely curious why. So I told her and her eyes sparkled. She told me we were good and she wanted to meet my children once they were home.

I smiled all the way home. Not because she deemed us good, or that she didn't look down her nose at us because we were adopting. I felt good because our story made her smile. I have no idea if adoption has personally touched her life, but I could see her joy in watching all of the children at the party. Next year we will have 2 more to add to the bunch at the party....

3 comments:

Krystal said...

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago with a man from The Congo. He originally asked me if Brayden was my "first born". I explained that I have 2 children who are older, but they are not home yet. He lit up and asked many questions about my boys and how I "found" them. He said over and over (in his accented English), "I appreciate. I appreciate." I'm not sure why, but I also felt something special knowing that our story had made this man smile :)

Ginger--Maya's mommy said...

Cute picture~~~!!!!!

Angel said...

That is so funny! I think you handled it beautifully. :0) Angel