Monday, August 20, 2007

Mr. Smartypants and the endless questions


I may be a proud Mama and all, but I think Levi is very bright. He is also very, very curious. He asks me a million questions a day (an exageration, but it feeeeels like a million) I took him grovery shopping on Saturday. Here is what is sounded like:

L: What is that?
M: Pickles
L: P..P...Pickles. What letter does that start with
M: P
L: Why?
M: That's how you spell pickles. The letter P makes the ppp sound.
L: Why?
M: It just does.
L: Why? Why? Why?
M: when they invented the alphabet they made up letters for the sounds in speech.
L: Why?

Now multiply that by everything he saw in the store.....

If I say I don't know, he asks a million more times, getting louder and louder. Then, there are the random questions. Like these (and my answers)

L: Why do ants get cranky?
M: Because they are small and people step on them.

L: Are my thumbs the same size?
M: Yes

L: Why do I have a crack in my bottom?
M: To allow toots to come out.

L: Can we throw cupcakes at bad guys?
M: Yes

This kid is wearing me out. Between laughing and wracking my brain for answers, I am beat!

Recently Chris bought him a set of learning games for the computer. He loves them! The Reader Rabbit Math is his favorite. It's set up like a carnival and he wins tickets for correct answers and then can spend the tickets to buy prizes. He very quickly learned the games and can happily entertain himself for a long time. We break up the computer time, though. I don't like the idea of a child in front of a computer, TV or Nintendo for hours, even if it is educational. Kids need to jump and play and explore and get dirty. In fact, that's one of the things that sold me on his school. They alternate 20 minutes of sitting work with 20 minutes of active learning. The perfect combo for a 4 year old boy (or girl!)

4 comments:

Gail said...

That picture of Levi is so cute!! He looks like a very inquisitive little boy.
Gail

Angel said...

Hee heee!!! I am just cackling. That is funny stuff. :0)I have actually gotten the crack in my bottom question. Angel

Melany aka Supermom said...

My son, Jason, is like that. There is always another question after an answer. Always lol LOVE that photo of him. Precious

Yeah So said...

How funny - definitely a sign of an intelligent mind. I know I am so in for that kind of questioning - you can see it my son's face already.