Tuesday, September 04, 2007

What the????

Twice in the past 10 days someone has mistaken me for Levi's Grandmother. Both times my mouth fell open and I did not say anything. Just walked away scratching my head. OK, I may not be a spring chicken anymore, and in both instances I had on no makeup and was dressed very casually, but what the heck? Grandmothers are little old ladies, people. They carry large purses filled with kleenex, peppermints and pink chapstick. They get their hair done once a week and smell like Jean Nate. They wear sensible shoes and make jello salads for church potlucks.

This did get me thinking, though. Am I too old to have small children? Am I doing them a dis-service by giving them a mature set of parents? My conclusion? Heck no! I can still run circles around people much younger than me. I may not have the energy or desire to party all night long, but I have plenty of energy to stay up with a sick child, to get up and scare away the bogey man or to change out wet sheets. I still have the energy to garden all day long, go swimming with the kids, cook dinner and put them to bed. I may not have my hot young bod anymore (if I ever did) and there are more wrinkles than I will admit to, but I still have what it takes.

So all of you who look at me and think I am his grandmother (and apparently that my 15 year old daughter is his MOTHER) I say shame on you! Now I just need to work on my witty retort so that the next time someone says this I am prepared. Any ideas???

2 comments:

JuJu - said...

I have had that happen twice:)
I was out with my oldest daughter Juliana (21) and John-Bryan. A lady said to Juliana, "I guess HE looks like his daddy!" and then she turned to me and said, "You must be pretty proud of him - huh?"

I smirked and held back my laughter long enough to say,"I am not sure if he looks like his Birth Father - but as long as I prayed for the gift of my son - I am VERY proud of him:)"

She was back paddling like an olympic swimmer - and trying to get out of that conversation and JUliana and I walked away laughing so hard!! She is a VERY together young lady and was offended that a person would assume she was ALREADY a Momma - but we hd to laugh at the lady's look of shock when we explained it all:):)

You look great - people are just stupid!

Julia:)

6blessings said...

Can you email me if the little boy below is still available? Thanks, Kim

dcagle@pldi.net