Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Oh my aching back

So landscaping continues around our place. I want to get the majority of the beds in before the sod comes so it will make it that much easier to show them where to put it. Here are some photos of how much we have done and how far we have to go.....


You might be a redneck if...... your idea of entertaining the kids is to ride around on the tractor. **

I wanted something to give interest and variety to the biggest bed in front, so I picked out two rocks. Turned out the one on the bottom was 1600 pounds and the smaller one was 700 pounds. They used a forklift to place them where I wanted them.

The small beds along the front are filled with rainbow rock so that the water off the roof doesn't wipe out the beds. (No gutters....yet)
I picked plants that will not get huge, require much trimming, are drought and full-sun tolerant and that deer won't normally eat. I used the heaviest landscape fabric I could buy so maybe, just maybe, the weeds won't be a problem for a few years.
I also picked plants that butterflies and hummingbirds will like.

The spot on the back right is where I will place a large tree to anchor the back corner and frame the house from the street. I didn't have enough time or energy left to get that done t his weekend, but next weekend is coming soon!

This week my hubby has a crew coming to pour more concrete, adding a patio, walkways and more parking. Then the sod will come. Forty pallets of sod...yikes! We are paying to have them lay it. I like to work hard, but that is way too much for us to try and do! Especially given the temps right now (heat index around 115 degrees)

** I am not calling my husband a redneck. Just having a little fun at his expense! (Hee!!!)

3 comments:

Ellie said...

Will you guys adopt me and my family...

Calgone Take me away....

HUGS

Ginger--Maya's mommy said...

Can't wait to see the finished product. That tractor ride sure does look fun.

Gail said...

The yard is looking beautiful!! Can't wait to see the end!

Gail

BTW, our daycare children run to the fence to watch the "dumpster truck" pick up trash. What's wrong with a tractor? LOL