Sunday, March 02, 2008

Don't jinx me!

There is very little about competitive cheerleading that comes with moderation. The kids (boys and girls) hit the floor and give 150%, they throw themselves thru the air with little regard for their safety (often making us parents gasp and whimper in fear) The uniforms are extreme, with skirts so short that they 'show their biscuits' and bare bellies. And glitter. There is glitter in my van, glitter in my kitchen, glitter in the dryer, glitter in my pores. Glitter glitter everywhere. But the most extreme? The make-up. Doing cheer make-up is an art form involving glue, glitter, blush that stains the skin and lipstick that is made form some sort of material not found in nature so that it stays on forever and only comes in shades that would shock a nun. How do you know when you have it right? Well, you put on enough so that your little girl looks like a street walking Ho, and then add some more. (Katie and I joke about that all the time, since she usually prefers a very natural look) Here is what the eye makeup looks like. Do you know how hard it is to get that much glitter on an eyelid and no glitter in her eye? Only once so far this year have I gotten glitter in her eye, and that is amazing. 

So as you can guess, this is another cheer weekend. This competition is here in Houston so we have the advantage of no travel and no hotel. Our gym doesn't travel much, which is one reason I like them so much. The travel gets old really fast. There is another gym close by that is higher ranked and really well known, but they travel so much. Las vegas, Oklahoma, Dallas, Florida. It's just too much. 

In other news, the Publicist/Agent in LA has asked me for more pics of Katie. I sent them on Friday. We have talked about it and if we never hear from her again, it's still been a really wonderful experience. How many teenage girls can say that they got noticed by a Hollywood scout? In a mexican restaurant in a weeny little burb in the boondocks outside of the city? If the publicist/agent wants more, then I will take everyone advice and contact the BBB etc and check it out thoroughly. (I am so silly. I think if I do it now it will jinx her!)

Just like I can't tell you the pending great news about PBJ because it might jinx it.......

11 comments:

Ellie said...

Oh Girl Friend...

Don't tell me yet, I don't want it JINXED... BUT I AM Dying to know!!!!

GO KATIE!!!! CHEER and STARISM!!!!

Hope all is welll...... Will talk soon!

Hugs
Elie

Kim said...

Ok, that's a little unfair! :)

I hope that you can tell us soon.

Susan said...

Now I know how I'm going to spend all my free time the next few days -- checking your blog for news! Good luck with whatever it is!

Kristi said...

WENDY!! You cannot leave us hanging like that!!! Girl!! Spill it!! Much love - Bamagirl!!!

Priscilla said...

You have a knack with the shadow...love it!

Keeping my fingers crossed for PBJ!

Bobbi said...

That is cruel!!

You have such a beautiful daughter (all of them are gorgeous.) My nieces cheered. I know that time and dedication.

Still think you are cruel!!

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a great weekend at the competition. Can't wait to hear how your teams did.

Looking forward to the good news on PGJ also!!!


~Michelle
Green Bay, WI

Anonymous said...

Whatever it is, I can wait, but I am praying!
Tell Katie that the agent is not the only one in CA that thinks she is darling! We named one after her, because we think that she is special.

Julie said...

I have competitive cheerleader in one of my classes and she makes fun of the "rah-rahs" in our building! :)

Can't wait to hear the news about PBJ!!!

Krystal said...

Well, at least Katie's colors are pink and silver -- blue and orange are a little more gawdy (if you can believe that!) I have a serious, life-long hatred of glitter . . . so it is hard to even imagine dealing with all of that!!!

Krystal said...

Oh, and no jinx :) :) :)