Sunday, January 06, 2008

Just call me Bob

Today, I was in the errand running mode and one stop was a haircut for Levi. I cut his hair most of the time, but every once in a while I need a professional to straighten it up and then I am good for a while. We cruised into 'Instant Cuts' where we have been many times, and signed up. There were only two women there, one who was asian and barely understood me when I gave her our phone number, and another woman who also experienced english as a second language but who seemed in charge. The 2nd woman called Levi, I explained what I wanted, and she proceeded to reproduce exactly what I wanted. He looked adorable! 
  Knowing I was also way overdo for a cut, and seeing how well she did, I asked if she would cut mine next. I explained that I needed a lot cut off since I was way overdo for a cut, explained how I wanted it and relaxed in the seat. I was watching Levi in the play area, making sure he was OK, when I suddenly became aware of a chopping sound. Now my hair is thick, super thick, so this is nothing new. It practically takes a chain saw to cut my hair. But when I looked, the woman had just whacked off the hair on the side of my head to about 1/4 of an inch!  OMG! I realized that she was not 'shaping up the cut I had, but had embarked on a whole new style and there was no turning back. I watched as mounds of hair built up on the floor and my head was revealed in all it's egg shaped glory. 
  The longest hair on my head is now barely 1 inch long. Seriously. I have never had it this short since I was 3 years old. Katie took one look at me and told me 1) I looked OLD, 2) I looked masculine, and 3) maybe another salon could help. She suggested I wear a hat. All the time. I was torn between crying and laughing, but more on the crying side. All my curls are gone. There is no hair to tuck behind my ears. I can't even run my hands 'thru' my hair in frustration. And NO you are NOT getting a picture. Arghhh! I know it will grow back, but not before tomorrow, when I have to be seen in public. 
  What am I going to do???????

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if Dolly Parton's wig mail order company ships overnight or not. I do have some links for quick to knit hats but even fun fur is only going to give you "hair" an inch long.

It sounds like you got few options. I don't even think you can get hair extensions with so little to anchor it with. Besides, we know how hair extension can be a very bad look in federal criminal RICO hearings.

This reminds me of the day I refreshed my red hair color and it turned punk rock purple. Only choice I had was to have my hip-length hair lopped off, bleached to white and re-dyed. I actually can pull off a pixie after all. Shorter hair is also a lot more comfortable and easy to care for. But a pixie is not a crew cut.

Elle said...

Pleeeeeezzzz, we need a photo. Oh I'm begging you.

Kathy said...

I was planning on getting my hair cut short this week but your post just scared me!! I am sure it looks fine!

Anonymous said...

Wendy, that is so funny! Im sorry about your hair but...good story!!!

We do need a pic!

Terri

Kristi said...

Oh Wendy!! Been there -- done that!! It's absolutely gut wrenching!! You need to get some "Mane & Tail" shampoo and wash wash wash!!! Vitamins!! MILK!!! It will grow back!! HUGS and much love Bamagirl!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your hair. I know the feeling, Ive had many hair boo boos. Not fun...
Please, I do agree with Elle we really would love to see your new do!! :) Please a picture.
Here are some ideas you might try:
wear a hair band (bright colors or a pattern)

a pretty scarf tied fashionably

extra makeup

dangly earings
Honestly Im not trying to be funny, I really can sympathize. These ideas I mentioned are intended to be used as a distraction and really can be helpfull when hair doesn't turn out the way we planned.
PS. It really will grow out fast, before you know it you will be using a curling iron.
Just trying to help!!

Laura

Anonymous said...

OK, I am laughing! You have a great shaped head (not flat in back like some people...) Just keep batting those big eyes of yours and you will get by... I remember when you had hair that short... You were cute!

Candy said...

Ok I am trying not to LAUGH...not because it is funny but because this happend to me a few weeks ago...but not that short I think I would really be crying. I asked for a ONE LENGTH BOB to my shoulders and got a layerd...very layerd BOB to my chin...I now like how it looks...but its harder than heck to fix...I had hair to the middle of my back before this cut.

Heres to A FAST OUT and a FAST HAIR GROWTH...hehe Hugs

Melany aka Supermom said...

Oh no!!!! My hair was cut short about 2 years ago. I HATED it...all the time..every day. Only now recently have I started looking at myself in the mirror and not felt like crying.

I'm sure YOU look hip with your hair short though :)

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, this is the worst kind of a feeling!! I know, I've been there way too many times. In fact, after the last episode two years ago, I haven't been able to bring myself to cutting it again and now it's half-way down my back. It will grow back but in the meantime, try something funky! Like maybe a cool color or something and definitely post a pic.

Anonymous said...

UGH, I had a haircut just like that one once. I hated it also. The only good thing is that hair grows. Hope your's grows fast. Elaine