Wednesday, January 23, 2008

For sale: One slightly used teenager

Katie: Mom, you need to take me to Sprint. I have to get a new phone. I NEED my phone. I can't call you or anything.



Me: Oh you poor baby! I will get right on that. Not.



Katie: Mo-o-o-m, I NEED my phone!



Me: Your irresponsibility does not cause me to have an emergency.



Katie: Mo-o-o-o-o-o-o-m, call them NOW.



Me: La la lal allaallllaallla I can't hear you.



About once a year something mysteriously always happens to Katie's phone, necessitating getting a new one. We have insurance so it's not too expensive, but it has definitely gotten way beyond annoying. A couple of years ago a rock got accidentally 'dropped' on her phone, destroying it. Last year it was stolen and vandalized at school. One phone just quit working. Now, it ended up at the bottom of the hot tub. This is the girl who will be driving next year and she can't even take care of a stupid phone. How am I going to let her have a vehicle?

Updated to add: She cranked up the pressure for a new phone by telling me, "Mom, what would happen if I got kidnapped? Or in a car wreck? I wouldn't be able to call you." She knows I am still freaked out about her car wreck last April. Darn kid. Thank goodness for insurance, that's all I can say. Geesh, how can I love her and want to strangle her all at the same time????

Levi had a great day at school yesterday. He told me he made a sun out of a paper plate and studied his sight words. Then he volunteered that he was never going to get in a fist fight with a girl again. Um, what? The teacher had no idea what he was talking about. (Luckily!)

When he was at the doctors on Monday, I had her check him for anemia. He is fine. Apparently he is really just that white and translucent. Poor kid. He has finally gained a little weight too. He weighed in at a whopping 39 pounds. He hit the 50% mark! Of course that was with heavy clothes on, but we will take what we can get. I have been getting him to eat lately by telling him he needs to grow bigger to be able to ride more rides at DisneyWorld. (Hey, if bribery and tricks work, use 'em!)

9 comments:

A said...

Oh boy, is that what I have to look forward to when my daughter becomes a teenager this year? LOL

Priscilla said...

HA HA "Me: Your irresponsibility does not cause me to have an emergency."

I'm going to save that one to use in about 15 years!!

Priceless.

Angel said...

TOO FUNNY! I love the Disney World rides line... That is great. :0) Angel

Anonymous said...

Hi...I have been "lurking" for a little while...but today I just had to leave a comment. I have a 14-1/2 year old son who drives me nuts on a good day. I feel your pain! Your blogs makes me laugh some days...it is sooooooo nice to know teenagers are the same every where. I love your comment about irresponsibility...mine is "Your choices have consequences that you will live with!" By the way, I also have an almost 12 daughter and an almost 9 year old son who are also "joys" at times. I love them everyday, but there are times I wonder about liking them!! LOL
Good luck with all of this AND your adoption. Your must have a super MOM cape somewhere!! I just keep thinking...this to shall pass!!

Christina said...

Is your daughter and my daughter related in some way? my 18 yr old has had more dang phones and her reasons are always really interesting too.

Anonymous said...

I have the exact same problem with my 19 year old daughter and her cell phone. Hers has been in the pool before but not yet made it into a hot tub. Just give her time though....

Anonymous said...

I have the exact same problem with my 19 year old daughter and her cell phone. Hers has been in the pool before but not yet made it into a hot tub. Just give her time though....

Anonymous said...

OK, what is it with our girls and cell phones. Alexa lost one at Knott's Berry Farm, dropped another in the pool at swim practice...
I love your irresponsibility/ emergency line!! May I use it?
I love you!

LouLou said...

If you find any takers let me know..... I have one boy version that sounds amazingly similar. Heck, we could sell them as a set.... We are also on cell phone #3 in 1 year!