Friday, November 02, 2007

Info

I was completely mystified about this unknown person suddenly filing a document protesting PBJ's adoption. The Birthmom is supportive and cooperative, she isn't a minor, no other family member ever came forward, etc etc. Then the lovely Krystal told me that a certain area in Guatemala had recently decided to fight all adoptions of kids born there. So I checked. Yep, PBJ was born there. Figures.

I don't know what impact it will have on our case. The agency doesn't seem worried. The document doesn't want to claim her to parent, just fight the adoption (?) There is a deep seated belief, especially in the rural areas, that Americans adopt Guat babies to sell their body parts. The government down there sees this all the time.

So I am breathing a sigh of relief, partially, that this is just an oddity and to be ignored. The lawyer down there insists that they had the hearing in front of the judge to convince them the birthmother is not a deaf/mute and the judge indicated he/she was ruling in our favor. We just need the judge to sign the case and hand it back to PGN so we can get out. I know, from one of our friend's cases, that the judges in Minor Court can sit on a case for a very, very long time. Months, more months, many many months. Maybe they have a game....the one with the most files wins!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wendy,

I am very glad to hear it's just some random person with no claim to PBJ. I'm praying the judge has already signed the order and told the villager to go away.

Still praying,
Julie

Gail said...

That is good news to hear.
It is also sad to think these people want to stop the adoptions but don't want the children themselves. We will have to pray they learn the truth about where the children are going.
Gail

Lucinda Naia said...

I'm not sure if I'm relieved or angry or sad. Isn't it amazing how people can complain about something without actually thinking through the long-term consequences? If this area of Guatemala isn't willing to parent the children, then maybe they should re-think this strategy? Or maybe they should consider a way to get more info about the adoptive families.

I think I'm mostly relieved and sad. Hope everything gets done quickly now!!!