Monday, January 15, 2007

Help! Aliens have abducted my husband!

Some of you actually know my husband, but for those of you who don't, let me tell you a little about him. When I first met him he was a 42 year old bachelor, living in his very own 3 bedroom bachelor pad. He worked, he hunted, he worked. And he saved his money. Very very carefully he built his nest egg. Well, along came me with 2 kids and lots of debt from being a single mom. Together we have paid off all my debt and continued on the savings plans. We have retirement plans, college funds, money markets and a whole lot of things that I don't even pretend to be interested in but that are ways to make money grow.

Chris is very careful with money. I, umm, not so much. I personally don't need a lot of things, but my weak spot is the kids. Chris is very frugal. He's not cheap, don't get me wrong, he is just very careful. He doesn't waste anything.

That is why I think aliens have abducted him. On Friday, when we were picking out tile, carpet, paint and countertops for our new house, my husband went crazy (for him) on upgrades. The standards for our builder are really very nice. The carpet is not base grade but better and it comes with a 1/2 inch pad. The tile choices were great, and the standard countertops are solid surface Staron (like Corion). Besides deciding on colors, I didn't think there was much else to make decisions about. Well, Mr. Hubby announces he likes granite and starts looking at the samples. He finds one he likes (which I LOVE!!) and we go from there. He didn't even ask about the price! (See what I mean, aliens!) It turns out there are 5 grades of granite and he has picked a class 4. I told him we could go back and pick a different, less expensive one, but he likes this one. So then we start matching all of the rest to the granite. We have accent stones in the backsplash, upgraded carpet throughout, additional tile in several areas, extra paint colors, and the neatest design in stones in the entryway floor. All weekend long I have been watching him to see if the financial impact finally hits him. So far so good. We even added up the total of what we think the upgrades will cost (some pricing was vague) and he didn't flinch.


I can't post without putting in pictures. I don't have any special pictures but here is one of Katie being the goofball that she is.

And here is Levi as King of the Mountain. Those little rain boots have been getting a lot of use lately with all the mud!

5 comments:

Crystal said...

This is so funny!!!:o)--You will love the granite!!! Can you tell me what color?--How fun!!! ooh this makes me want to build again!! hugs!!!

Tracy said...

I love reading about your house updates and your great family. Granite sounds beautiful!

Ginger--Maya's mommy said...

They are so cute and funny. Levi is a real hoot. Are you in PGN with your little girl?

Krystal said...

Can you please send the aliens to my house?? I am usually the more frugal one around here, but for some reason when it comes to home improvements, DH doesn't want to spend anything! No upgrades for us!!!! You're choices sound so awesome -- I cannot wait to see the countertops, back splash, and entryway pics!!!!

Angel said...

I would KNOW my hubby had been abducted too. :0) Angel