Thursday, January 11, 2007

Freaky baby Gadgets






After my outpouring of emotions yesterday, I thought today needed to be lighter. A friend sent me a link to a website that had some really unique baby items. Now I already have 3 kids and I have learned my lesson with several items that looked like they were going to be so fantastic and turned out to be useless. Case in point: the special diaper storage system that had a hole in the top so small that you ended up squishing gooey poopie out of the diaper in the attempts to stuff it through the hole. Yeah, not so good. Here are some things I think belong in the same category.




This is called the tummy tub. It is supposed to be a tub that mimics the feeling in the womb. Apparently you fill it up, immerse the baby and then carefully hang onto their head so they don't slip under water. Now I ask you, how in the world are you supposed to WASH the baby? Or is this just supposed to be an exercise in re-living the past for the baby? Notice how the water appears somewhat yellow. Maybe you make fake amniotic fluid too? Yuck!!

This is called the baby keeper. When I first saw it I thought it was some sort of baby-time-out device! It is actually designed to hang over a restroom door keeping baby safe from the dirty floor while Mommy does her business. I hope no one ever forgets their baby in their rush to wash their hands and escape public restrooms! This product will not be on my wish list!



This is called the ThudGuard. It is intended for children to wear to protect them from bumping their noggins. I find this one strangely funny and sad all at the same time. There are people who actually need protective helmets due to various medical conditions. These aren't intended for them. These are for normal kids. Normal kids of overwhelmingly protective parents. No amount of cute decorations can make this look any less than utterly ridiculous.



This is called Zaky. The idea is that you can leave your child cradled by loving hands even when you can't be there. That's fake rubber disembodied loving hands. The concept sounds good but the outcome is disturbing. I have the urge to slap those hands away and rescue the baby! Creepy Alien hands. Makes me think of the qhost story of the creeping hand coming after someone. This is more like a practical joke designed to scare the daylights out of the parents! Can you imagine peeking into your precious little one's crib only to find scary dimembodied hands clutching your baby? Yep, much better as a practical joke.

This one is just deeply disturbing. It is a system that allows a father to simulate breastfeeding their child. I don't know about you, but that just seems so very, very wrong to me. Poor kid is going to end up in a bell tower with a rifle! I see many, many years of therapy ahead for that poor baby. Heck, I think I need therapy from just reading about it.

These were the worst of the baby gadgets I saw. I am sure there are more and even worse things out there. Babies really don't need a whole lot of gadgets to be happy and healthy. They need love and attention, good nutrition and sleep, and a safe environment. It's just as simple as that.

4 comments:

Ginger--Maya's mommy said...

Those things are too funny!!! Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

Angel said...

I am laughing my BUTT off! Those are HILARIOUS! That over the door kid hanger is classic.

I am soooo glad I got to meet you. My adoption buddies are one of the big ups in an up and down year.

HUGS! Angel

Natalie said...

Oh my gosh...I have not laughed this hard in a long time! I've got to show these to someone...anyone...it's just too funny to keep to myself!

Krystal said...

Too funny!! I am right there with you on the creepy hands -- that one was the worst!!!