Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Levi has it now

He woke up this morning with a fever, sore throat and a bad case of pathetic-ness. Right now he is curled up on the couch, long sleeve shirt, sweat pants and wrapped in a big blanket. He's not much of a whiner so my fingers are crossed he will be less whiny than the others. 


In Vision Therapy News: 
The other day, while I was reading the blog '5 minutes for special needs' ( http://www.5minutesforspecialneeds.com/) I read one mother's post about how vision therapy and vision correction had meant the world of difference to her daughter's success. I am here to say 'Oh Yeah! We are seeing so many kids for evaluations right now. I guess as school is getting ready to start parents are thinking about how to best help their kids have the best educational experience they can. We are seeing a wide range of issues. Kids with lazy eyes and strabismus. Kids with one very dominant eye and the other so weak the brain essentially has just turned it off. Kids who are diagnosed as ADHD whose true issue is a vision problem. (Think about it, if you can't focus on the words on the page, how much attention would you give it?) We have kids who had a brain injury and we need to re-train the eyes, body and brain to work in unison. We have a lot of kids who were preemies who need help to build their vision systems correctly.  And kids on the autism spectrum. Oh those sweet little angels. It makes me cry happy tears as I watch them go from withdrawn and unable to make eye contact to smiling and hugging us, telling us stories and making great eye contact. 

I wish more people knew about Vision Therapy. It goes hand-in-hand with a lot of OT therapies. We are now working closely with an OT group nearby. We see the same patients and coordinate the therapies to get the kids the best of both. It really accelerates their progress. 

I am LOVING my new job!

3 comments:

Dana said...

This job sounds so perfect for you. You are awesome with kids and have a heart the size of Texas - HA! You sound so happy.
Love You!

Julie said...

What an amazing job you have!! My nephew was diagnosed with Aspberger's and low-end (?) ADHD but I wonder if this could help him? I'll have to do some research and see if I can find it in my area! YOU ROCK!!!

Phyllis said...

I hope Levi is feeling better. Your job sounds so interesting. I'd love to have a job where I make a difference in people's lives.
Phyllis & Kristen