Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Pre-school dilemmas

Last year Levi went to the methodist church 2 days a week for a few hours of pre-school. He loved it! He never cried, although he was quiet the first couple of times. After that, he was having a blast at school. He brought home art work and worksheets, stories of his playing with friends, and a big smile.

Then, this year, in my infinite wisdom, I decided to look at different schools that had longer hours. The thought being that soon Nanny would have Peri Brynn and it would be more difficult for her to take and pick up Levi. If he could go 2 full days a week, then I could drop him off and pick him up. I set out on my search. I found a school near our house, talked to the director, took the tour, etc etc. (I talked to many, not just this one) I liked what they said, I liked the curriculum and I liked the staff. I signed him up.

He was quiet the first two days but excited to go. He seemed to have fun and be adjusting well. Then on the third day, they were having an end-of-summer party day. All the kids were there (there seemed to be twice as many as I had ever seen before) and they were crazy with excitement. By the time Levi was picked up, he was a scared mess. He was biting his fingernails, had his head down and had backed into a corner. This was not my happy, out-going boy. This was a child in shut-down mode.

The next time I went to drop him off, he screamed bloody murder, begged not to go, and pretty much ripped the heart out of my chest with his sobbing wails for Mommy as I headed out the door. I talked to the director and she assured me she would spend extra time with him, and any time he felt overwhelmed he could go hang out in her office with her. Around this time, the teacher in his room changed too. After another two days I asked if he was getting overwhelmed and went to the office. He told me the teacher wouldn't let him go. He continued to cry and beg not to go, and not in an unhappy way, in a terrified scalded-monkey way.

Last week Nanny was on vacation, so for three days he was going to go to a friend's house. He doesn't really know these people, but I do and it was a good choice for the days nanny was away. On the mornings he went to their house, he jumped out of bed all smiles, got dressed, brushed his teeth, combed his hair and we headed out the door in record time. He was all smiles and laughter. Note, these people have 4 kids and each day there would be there 4 and most of the neighborhood kids all playing together when I got there to pick him up. Lots of noise and craziness but Levi was loving it. But on the two days he was to go to school, again we had the battle royale.

I had thought that he just needed time to adjust to the school, that he got overwhelmed one day and it would pass. I was ignoring what my gut was telling me. This school just wasn't a good fit for him. Tomorrow Levi and I are going to go check out a new school. It is a lot smaller, has a class size of 9 kids (not 15) and an indoor gym/playground. Levi is excited about checking it out. That alone tells me something. He likes the idea of school. He liked his old school. He liked going to the other house and being with other kids. He is very specific about this, though, he does not like this school.

When I discussed the problems he was having with the director, she implied that it was my fault he was not adjusting. That I needed to be more consistent, bring him each day at the same time, drop him off and walk away. Staying to help him transition (I stayed 5-10 min) was wrong. If he was crying, they would take care of it. She talked to me like I was an idiot and didn't know a thing about kids. I looked at her and explained that Levi is not my first child, nor my second either. He is my third child so I have experience with school situations. I also told her that this is not the first time he has gone to school and that he has never had a problem before. It was only THIS school he seemed to have trouble with. That's when she promised to let him be her little buddy and help him adjust. As far as I know, that didn't happen. He says it didn't and he tells the truth (he hasn't learned about lying yet)

So it's Hasta La Vista crazy-wild school and onto greener pastures. See ya!!

2 comments:

Ginger--Maya's mommy said...

WHAT????? Your fault!!!! The nerve of this woman. I hope things work out.

Lucinda Naia said...

Kudos for you for listening to your insides! Your mom instinct knew what he needed because you didn't just "dismiss" how he was feeling (unlike the school director who sounds like she's not good with children). Way to go on finding a new school for him!