Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Is this hell?

For weeks and weeks, we have been working on getting our yard ready for sod. It should have been a simple thing. When they finished the house they brought in many truckloads of topsoil and spread it out all nice and smooth, and then we should have been able to just plop down the big fat chunks of grass, and Tada a yard! But, starting the day before we moved in, it has been raining. All that lovely topsoil hightailed it into the ditches, revealing rocks, construction debris and other nasty things. Each weekend we have diligently worked to pick up all the non-soil debris, haul the topsoil back out of the ditches and re-spread it on the yard. We have laid out beds, lined them in stone, created the hardscape of the landscape plan and prepared to get sod. Each week we are on the schedule for the sod company. Two semi-truck loads of grass. And it rains. If it doesn't rain at our house, it pours at the sod farm so they can't cut the sod.
I am so very, very sick of mud and dirt. Battling the weeds to keep the yard ready for sod. Picking up more debris that washes it's way to the surface. Trying to keep the dirt out of the house. But the worst, by far, is the Sysyphean task (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisyphus) of digging the topsoil out o f the ditches and re-spreading on the yard. We're not talking bucketfuls, here. We are talking dumptruck loads. We dig it out, the rains wash it all back down the hill. Over and over again. Much like Sysyphus was doomed to do for all eternity. I wonder how much Astroturf we would need to do the job?????

Levi kept smacking my behind all weekend. I was getting really tired of it, and kept telling him to stop. When I finally got totally aggravated with him, he looked at me all teary eyed and said, 'But it's fun to smack because it's so big'. And Chris....I saw that smirk. You tried to hide it, but I saw it anyway. My guys must be butt men........

3 comments:

Ellie said...

hahahaha...

Father Like Son...

So do they want you to start going around and pinching all those cute little butts we see on OTHER PEOPLE... Especially those in FootBall Uniforms?????

As for the Top Soil and Grass...

I have no advise here, except... It never Rains in California...

hehehe

Love ya

Anonymous said...

Wendy- I'll trade you, you take the 50 days of over 90 degree temps with only .1 of an inch of rain and I will take the rain. Perhaps my grass will grow again, perhaps we might get some fall color on the trees (although I think it is too late- to many leaves are already falling off the trees, shriveled and dried up). Please trade with me, please, please?

PS- I can't wait for Little Bug to start saying these kinds of things- right now everything is NO or Boo-Boo (meaning it is an injury). I am a little tired of these conversations with him.

Love to you,
Momma Bug
www.lifewithlittlebug.blogspot.com

Melissa said...

Out of the mouths of babes....Levi's comment made me laugh out loud!