Saturday, December 20, 2008

Peri Brynn part three

After we got Peri Brynn settled into a new family she began to gain weight and grow rapidly. They sent me pictures often and she looked better and better each time. She began to re-learn a lot of what she lost. 

As you know, the injuries (oh yes, there was evidence of a previous head injury!) were no accidents. This precious baby had suffered at the hands of someone. Unfortunately, in Guatemala, a small mayan girl is of no importance and no one there cared that she had been abused. That was a tough pill to swallow but this process has taught me a lot about accepting what we cannot change. 

In January the agency requested that we again change PBJ's foster family. There was a big problem with a former employee of theirs making threats against the foster families and the children. I hated to move her yet again but they stressed that they could not insure her safety where she was.

That is when an angel named Astrid came into our lives. Astrid was to be PBJ's new foster mother and she showed a great love and affection for our precious girl. Under Astrid's care Peri began to blossom. She began to sit up, to crawl, to use her legs again, to stand, and eventually to walk holding onto something. Astrid worked tirelessly, visiting the doctor's office every 2 weeks, spending hours working the muscles in her trunk and legs. 

In August we went to GC to bring Ahren home and to visit Peri Brynn. She was a completely different child! Still the tiniest little peanut even though she was just shy of her second birthday. She was almost walking independently but boy could she scoot around the floor fast! She was funny and happy and well attached to Astrid and her family. Although it killed me, I decided not to keep PBJ with us in the hotel. Her attachment was so important and I didn't want to do anything to stress her. We saw her two different days and loved on her as much as we could. 

I met with her lead doctor and reviewed her medical files. She had recently had another CT scan and evaluation (at our expense). The excess fluid in her head was resolving and she was doing wonderfully! Only time would tell if she would have any permanent issues but for now she was exceeding all expectations!!!
She is our miracle. Our daughter. Our teeny tiny angel with the BIG personality!
At the end of August 2008 all birth mother interviews had to be completed through PGN or the cases would be closed and the child would be declared abandoned. Our case was stuck in the court of Minor's but our lawyer made arrangements to get the file from the court and bring in the birth mother for the crucial interview.

Things went horribly, terribly wrong. The birth mother is very shy, does not speak spanish (she speaks a Mayan dialect) and is terrified of the authorities. The PGN interviewers decided that she was most likely incompetent and they seized Peri Brynn and sent her off to an unknown orphanage and sent her case to a new court. Astrid was devastated! We were devastated! But Peri Brynn, she must have been terrified. I cannot imagine the terror this little one felt. it makes me sick to my stomach to think about her all alone yet again. 

Ever since then we have been trying to find her, to see if we can get the judge to release her back to foster care with Astrid, to do the right thing! We have a court date of march 5th, 2009 (gee, how speedy is their court system.....) 

So where is all of this leading? Please go to this website http://www.remar.org.gt, click on 'album' and then open the picture on the bottom left. The picture of a little girl and a baby on a red couch. 

What teeny tiny little angel do you see????

20 comments:

Kim said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! Is that her? How did you find her? How is she? Have you been in contact? Oh my, oh my, oh my!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wendy this has got me on the edge of my seat. Really, how did you come across this picture on this website?! Please keep us posted.

Laura

Anonymous said...

I think the girl in the red coach is not PBJ. Sorry, i dont want to hurt you but i dont think she is PBJ. PBJ has that special eyes..so small, and this girl has big eyes. And look smaller than PBJ. Why do you think is her?

Wendy said...

To Anonymous-

I don't just think it is her, I know it is her, and not because of the photo. I have definitive proof. We found the photo after she was located. I can't reveal everything we know and are doing, but we now have a very important piece of the puzzle.

Wendy

Dawn said...

EMAIL ME!!!

The Weinantz Family said...

That is wonderful that you have found her! She needs you so much!

I will keep praying for her.

Anna

Lucinda Naia said...

I'm one of your regular readers and rare posters....

What a Christmas miracle that you now know where she is! I'm thrilled for you!!

Blessings

Kathy said...

I will keep all of you in my prayers. I hope she is well (she looks well) and that she can come home to you and her family soon.

margaret said...

I rarely post either, but I am so glad you have found her. Praying that you can work things out and bring her home soon. I love reading your blog. Thanks for sharing your stories!

Angie said...

Wow I normally lurk but had to post on this one! This is amazing! I hope one day we get to hear all of the details when PBJ is home. I will continue to pray for her!

Candy said...

OH WENDY....this is AWESOME and I am in tears...Oh what a MIRICLE

Natalie C. said...

so happy for you wendy!

URBAN BLONDE said...

This just gives me goosebumps!

HOPE!!!!!! and hopefully soon PEACE!

Sending loads of positive energy your way!!

Blondie

Anonymous said...

Please God, let someone in Guatemala's courts, PGN, CNA whomever it takes, please let this child go home to HER family. I'm so happy you found her, and said to see her sweet face look so sad.

Its unthinkable what this child has gone through. I'm thankful your agency has removed their website and I hope they are out of business for good. They may not have caused every injury to this child, but their behavior and callus disregard for children has certainly caused a great deal of this trauma.

Praying for another miracle for your family.

Ana's Mom

Unknown said...

The suspense is killing us all Wendy!!!
I am SO glad you found her, I can't wait to hear the rest of the story!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

This is such awesome news! God's Christmas Miracle!

Reba said...

I don't post often, but I often think of little PBJ...I also got goosebumps and am still praying God brings PBJ home to you!

Bethany said...

WOW! I have been following your blog for quite some time and was heartbroken for you all when PBJ "disappeared". I can't believe that you found her!! GREAT! I am dying to know the rest of the story and I will start praying that you bring your little angel HOME soon!! :)

Cathie said...

This is a miracle. I pray that thinks are going to work out for you and your family and that little special girl.
Hugs

Anonymous said...

Wendy, coming out of lurkdom to say Praise God. I've been reading your blog for a long long time. i brought my daughter home from GT in Jan 2008. (no blog but love love yours). You were hand picked by God to save this little precious angel, and give her safety and love and a family. she is blessed to have you. you are blessed too to have her (which you already know), even though she's not yet home. merry christmas. Ellen