Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Peri Brynn continued

We had delay after dealy and I just couldn't wait so I booked another trip to visit. This time Peri Brynn was 9 months old and a pure delight. She was happy, healthy and the most adorable little pixie I had ever seen. I spent the week holding her, loving on her and just absorbing everything about her that I could. Again, I cried so hard when I had to give her back, but this time i thought I would be coming back to bring her home soon. 

Then, in October of 2007, just before her first birthday, I got a call that changed everything. Peri Brynn was very sick. She was in the hospital. The agency told me I needed to get to Guatemala right away. They didn't know if she would live. I had no idea what was wrong or what I would find when I arrived, but I booked the tickets and headed off all alone to see my girl. 

When I arrived, I caught a ride to the hospital and what I found tore the absolute heart out of my chest. Peri Brynn was in a bed, pinned to the sheets to keep her safe, barely moving and barely responsive. The doctor came in and talked to me. She showed me that Peri's skull had a large fracture in it, that she had swelling of the brain and that she had suffered many,many seizures. It was amazing she was still alive. In addition, she was malnourished, had un-treated parasites and an infection.
I left the hospital and could barely function. The next morning, i returned to the hospital and told the doctor I wanted to nurse her back to health. I paid all the bills and they released her to me. I took her back to my hotel and did what I needed to do. 

She was so small and so pathetic. Even at the age of 1 year old, she had lost all ability to sit up, to control her hands, to do almost anything. She was much like a newborn again. 
She had the most vacant look. Her hands curled into her body, useless. She seemed so lost. 

Her little feet curled up, too, a sign of the damage to her brain. I endlessly massaged her hands, legs, feet, and arms to help relax and un-curl them. 
I gave her injections daily to treat the infection, medicine to treat the seizures, medicine to reduce the pressure on her brain.

She began to improve, almost by the hour. She ate and ate and ate! She began to respond to me. She reached her little fists out to me. Her eyes tracked me as I walked around the hotel room. She would not let me get out of her sight. 

i found a new foster family for her and made arrangements forher to continue seeing her doctors regularly. We paid her foster fees, therapy bills, doctor bills and money to buy her the things she needed (medicine, a walker, clothes, etc)

To be continued.....







8 comments:

The Weinantz Family said...

Wendy,

Even though I have not posted much on your site. I follow your blog, I also pray for Peri Brynn, that you will bring her home. You have such a big heart. She needs you so much. God is so awesome and he can do anything!

Anna

Anonymous said...

Something is up, I can feel it. I am waiting for the end of your story...
Love You with all my heart!!

Anonymous said...

Is this wonderful story of love leading up to that she is finally coming home??? Oh, how I pray that is the case.

StarfishMom said...

Was she abused or shaken? It seems unlikely that something like this would just 'happen'. What phase of her adoption are you in ?

Dawn said...

Oh man...I remember that like it was yesterday. Seeing the x-rays, the frantic phone calls, the not knowing, and then the knowing. I still remember the rage I felt when you showed that first x-ray, knowing and yet praying.
((HUGS)) as you walk this journey.
dawn

URBAN BLONDE said...

I can hardly believe that this was over a year ago now, where has the time gone? And that precious little angel, of course you cannot turn your back on her.

Oh if only she had come home early in 2007, how different things would have been. I'm so hopeful that you have some good news and that she will be coming home now.

Wishing for a Christmas Miracle named PBJ!

Blondie

Wendy said...

Queen of the Castle,

In order for her to have sustained an injury like this she would have had to have fallen at least 8-10 feet onto a hard surface, or had her head slammed forcibly onto a hard surface. This was no accident. I will continue the story this weekend....

W

Baby John's Crib said...

What a devoted, good mommy you are......can't wait to read the rest of your story. I am praying for good news for your family and PBJ.