Friday, September 19, 2008

Recovery

We got power back on finally. I about cried. Seriously. Even though we had a generator and were able to keep food cold and run the TV a bit, etc, it wasn't easy. I was running out of ideas for meals that could be cooked on a burner on the stove by flashlight with limited fresh food. 

We were able to stand in line and get gas and bottled water, but we didn't need meals or ice so we left that to those who need it. Our water is still not drinkable and if I boil it it is tinted brown and forms a scum on top. Yuck! I have given the boys baths but I don't feel like they are clean. Less stinky but not really 'clean'. I feel the same way. Chris has been going to work each day, so it's just me and the kids most of the time. Katie has been a fantastic help. We have been getting out of the house for a little while every day and that has helped. Just searching for groceries or open stores has been fun. We found a Target running off of a generator and had lots of fun buying junk. We came home with a pair of crocs for Ahren, a new movie and some snack food. The grocery store near us is up and running, but the shelves are empty (except for beer....huh?) We were able to score some fresh milk and some bananas one day. Yahoo! I would kill for a salad right about now. 

This is NOT how I planned the bonding time with Ahren, but I have no choice but to deal with it. He is doing well. His personality comes through more every day. He is now throwing very normal 2-year old tantrums but responds well to how we handle them. As his communication skills get better he is getting less frustrated. He is funny and comical and still a walking disaster. I can't tell you how many times a day he rams his head into things or falls down. Part of it is he is just so incredibly BUSY! He is now very jealous if I hold anybody else. He tolerates me holding Levi, but wants to get his own snuggles too, but If I hold Mina or Holly, he is mad! 

And now, for his shining moment. Mina just finished potty training and still likes to watch the potty video we have. We turned it on last week and they were watching it. Mina wanted us to set out the little potty for her to sit on. The whole time, Ahren was watching her very intently and watching the video. Then he took his diaper off, sat on the potty and peed! I hadn't even thought about potty training. I figured we would wait at least until after Christmas but now I am rethinking that! Now, in the past week, twice he has told us poo-poo before he goes and then filled his diaper. He has also learned to strip himself naked (yelling Nakey the whole time) so it may be time. 

Things Ahren is saying in english:

eat, nakey, banana, mine, yes, Mommy, Daddy, Kay-Kay, Levi, let me see, that's my Levi (looking at a picture), JoJo (dog), stop it, poo-poo, pee-pee, Mina, Nanny, juice, cheese, this, and many more. 

Things Ahren loves:

Bananas, chicken, sprite, scrambled eggs, Levi, baths, brownies, making us laugh, tickles, his high chair, Kay-Kay, ring-around-the-rosey, coloring, my cell phone, Daddy and Mommy, going bye-bye.

Things Ahren hates:

Being told 'No' and naps. 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are incredible to hold it all together and even cook!!! What a woman. When you all sit and look back on this experience, think how nice it will be for Ahren to know that he too was there and a part of it all. His first weeks with you will be marked with an extrordinary experience that all will remember and talk about for years to come, and it will include him. He may even have early memories that will be clearer due to the event being remembered often. Maybe the whole hurricane was for this one little boy!!!
Love you!!

Anonymous said...

"Nakey boy"....hmmm...I think he and Levi are closer related than you think ;)
Funny the things you miss. I know salad is always big for me in situations like this. Glad you got your power on and hopefully other things start falling into place as well.