Monday, February 23, 2009

Mayans

I have a huge heart for the indigenous Mayans in Guatemala. I honestly believe that every child in the United States needs to see with their own eyes how the Mayans live. I knew what I was going to see and yet I was still shocked. The shacks they live in are constructed of pieces of corrugated sheet metal scavenged from the dumps. They have dirt floors, cook and heat with an open fire, no running water, no electricity. They live much as the American Indians lived 200 years ago. No schools, no healthcare, no dental care, nothing. I will say it again. Every single person in the United States should experience it firsthand, because you would never take anything for granted again. 

A dear friend of mine is working on organizing a mission trip for the summer of 2010. A trip to build houses for the Mayans and to supply them with stoves. A complete house costs $3000 to build, the stoves $150. We are going to spend the next year fundraising, collecting donations, and urging as many people to join us as we can. We can each make a difference in the lives of these people. A real difference for them, for their children, and for their futures. Not many of us get that kind of chance to make a mark in the world. 

Please watch this video my dear friend Jeremy put together. We will be joining him and his team on the mission trip. Think about ways you might want to join in. No pressure. Times are tough and we know that. But I also know that we can each do a tiny bit and together make a huge difference. I am sooooo excited!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/urpayd4   (You will have to go to it manually, I can't get the video to load on the page.)

6 comments:

Vanessa said...

Wendy, You know my heart is 100% in Guatemala!! I go tothe highlands each year to do Project Santa and I would LOVE to hear more about this project/mission trip!! Where will these homes be built? How much id the trip to go on? Dates? etc. PLEASE email me the info!! You can also check out my new Guatemala blog www.heart4children.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

This is so awesome, Wendy!!! I could go on forever at the need or how blessed we are in this country, but until we take that step to give, it all means nothing. So many talk but never act. I could not be more proud of you than I am right now!!!
Love you!!

nikki said...

Amazing work being done!!!
It is wonderful that you are helping them.
My Aunt and I went on mission trip last summer to Casa Angelina, and were lucky enough to meet Jeremy and his family. They are such amazing people. I would also love to help support this project. Please let me know as more info become available!!

Kelly said...

Wendy, my daughter is from Guat-home 15 months now and I left my heart in Guatemala! Please email the info on the mission trip as I definitely want to join in. You are so right about people needing to see! I will post this video on my blog as well. Look forward to hearing the details of the trip.
Kelly
www.waitingforcaylie.blogspot.com

Lucinda Naia said...

I'm trying to figure out how to create a business in Guatemala that employs Guatemalans. I've got some ideas & am doing some research now to see if it's viable or if I'm completely off my rocker.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I read your blog and would be very interested in actually going on the mission trip. Can you email me more details, costs, etc.
Thanks,
Corie (goose189@hotmail.com)