Saturday, February 21, 2009

Ahren says

This morning, Ahren was sitting at the table eating breakfast when he burst into song. He began to sing Happy Pancakes to You to the tune of the birthday song. That boy really loves his food!

We have a fun way of saying I love you to each other. Chris started it when he told me a long time ago that he 'loves me more than cheese'. Now we tell each other 'I love you more than _____' and pick something we really like. The other day Ahren looked at me and said, 'Love you ice cream' and my heart melted. A spontaneous show of love and he got the humor in it. You bet I gave that kid a million kisses for that!

Ahren is very inquisitive. At least a million times a day he says, 'What doing?'. He will say it ten times in a row, getting the same answer each time, but he never tires of the game. This is an especially fun game to play in the car. 
What doing, Mommy?
I'm driving the car. 
What doing Mommy?
I'm driving the car.
What doing Mommy.
I'm driving.
What doing Mommy?
Driving.
What doing Mommy?
sigh
What doing Mommy?
What doing Mommy?????

He is saying probably a couple hundred words now, talking in sentences, using lovely little phrases like 'you stink',  'I don't want it' and 'stupid'. Oh it makes a mother so proud. 

When he gets in trouble he has a couple of ways of showing us he is mad. He will run to his room and slam the door behind him (which is too funny because I just leave him there until he has cooled off - he is a self-time-out model) or he will stand there and spit. I hate the spitting! I don't know where he got that but it really irks me and he knows it. Chris came up with an  idea that every time he does that we just pull his shirt up over his head. Hah! The spitting is contained. I don't think he knows what to think of it, but the spitting is decreasing. Conversely, the door slamming has increased, but that I don't mind as much. 

Oh, and the Goodnights are a fantastic idea! Thanks everyone!

3 comments:

Deb said...

Wendy-

Aidan does the "what you doing" phrase all the time. it has gotten the point that I ask him to tell me what I am doing and in extremem cases I resort to :what did I just tell you I was doing?", that usually shuts him up.

I will say also that Aidan "spits"- more like he coughs up enough and then just lets it drool out of his mouth. I Like your idea of pulling his shirt over his head, becuase making him clean up his spit has no power to make him stop.

Love and hugs,
Deb

Reba said...

Our four year old asks me all day long what time it is. I don't know why. She has no concept of time. I had to smile on the slamming doors and the spitting. Both of my little Guatemalans take their shoes and socks off if I put them in time out (which really is just sitting them down for a few minutes). I don't exactly know why, but they seem to act like it is total defiance. (I do know kids aren't supposed to be barefoot in Guatemala, and would almost think that is why it is an act of defiance, but our son was too young when he came home to know that...)

Wendy said...

Deb, that's exactly how he spits. He just pools up all the saliva and lets it pour out of his mouth. I don't know if he is part hamster and has secret pockets where he keeps it or what! He can sure spit a big wad very quickly and he just stands there and looks at me while he does it. It's almost comical.