Friday, March 13, 2009

A writing assignment

Katie wrote this for her AP English class. 

The Value of the Small, Everyday Events in Life

  I wake up to the sun peeking through my blinds. As I get up and begin to do my normal everyday routine, I can't help but think my day can't possibly go shy of great.
  Wrong! I'm late to school. As I sit down in class I notice I forgot my lunch. My teacher scolds me and sends me outside. I slip on a puddle of God-knows-what on my way to class. I hear my friends talking behind my back. When the day finally comes to an end, I rush to my car. As I get in I can feel my eyes stinging as they fill with tears. I can feel my face turn hot as a tear rolls down my cheek. My whole ride home I do everything possible trying to hold back the tears. I take a deep breath and enter the door of my house. As the door slams behind me I hear shrieks and my name being screamed across the living room. I can no longer walk as little arms wrap themselves around my legs. I pick up my littlest brother and once he is safe in my arms he plants a wet baby kiss on the same cheek which minutes before had a tear on it.  By now my other brother has a hold of my hand and with all his might is pulling me towards the fridge to show me what he made in school today.
  I stop for a moment to take in everything that has happened that day. I realized, something as little as my brothers showing their love for me made me forget all the horrid events that had happened tome earlier that day. The little things are the ones that matter. Though we sometimes take them for granted, it is the everyday events of life that keep us grounded.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is why our Katie is so beautiful, not by what is on the outside, but because of her sensitive, sweet nature that shines through! I love you Katie, never change!!!
Love you!

Mary said...

Thats Lovely..Thanks God For Big Sisters.

Cherrie said...

WOW........

Natalie C. said...

How great is that?

Deb said...

She is a fantastic writer and very, very austue for her age.

Love to you,
Deb

Phyllis said...

Oh, that's the sweetest...brought a tear to my eye.
Phyllis & Kristen

Candy said...

THIS IS AWESOME and gives me even more reason to LOVE KATIE...Hugs

Cathie said...

I am so glad you shared this. What a great big sister.
Cathie

Andrea said...

WHOAH. And now MY cheeks have tears on them. Amazing!