Sunday, March 15, 2009

Sunday evening

It's Sunday evening and that used to mean I would begin to get wound up, not sleep well, and start to think about work. It has taken a while, but I am over that now. Instead, I think about other, more important things.

Things like why is it so important that we have other family friends that have adopted. That have kids from other ethnic groups, backgrounds, countries, adoption paths. But it's not just that. Those things might have brought us together. The shared emotions and pains of the Guatemalan process. The issues with the sudden parenting of a toddler you only know through photos. Developmental delays, parasites, malnutrition, evil people and much more. It tends to bring people together. 

But what holds them together? We have all met someone we found interesting just to never see or hear from them again. Ships passing in the night. What holds some people together?

I saw it this week. I don't see nat, Angel or Candy very often. Heck, I don't actually communicate with them directly very often. I read their blogs and feel like I am involved. Then, once a year when we meet in person, the underlying fabric is there. Instant sister-hood. I know what they think, feel, worry about. I know how much they love their children and husbands, warts and all. I feel their pain and their joy. Deep, inside of me, in my very soul.

Why? Why do we connect with some people like this, and others merely pass through? I don't know. What I do know is that I feel honored. Glorified. Lucky. And seriously blessed to be able to share with these women and their families. The women I met in person this week are amazing. Real people with real problems, real fears and real issues. And yet, each and every one of them is an inspiration to me.

Angel, you have given so much. To your family. To other families. To lost children all over the world. You are so young and yet you have accomplished so much. I am in awe. I feel so late in finding my heart and giving self. You have shown me what I should be. What I want to be.

Natalie, you adopted Caleb, loving him from that first photo. And that love shines through in every movement of your body, your face, your eyes, your heart. I watched as you so carefully kept an eye on him at the museum. I don;t know if you realize how powerful that glance was, but it knocked me off my feet. You want so much for him, it hurts you in a way nothing else could. Then he will turn, see you and run with a huge smile to hug you, and you light up. It makes my heart soar to see it. He is one very lucky little guy!

And Candy. Candy with her heart on her sleeve, her every emotion played out to the world. Girl, if you could save them all you would, without a doubt. Your love overshadows everything else. How do you think Kya became such a loving, giving little girl? It's not in the nature of a 3 yr old to be like that. She has seen  you do it and she has absorbed it. That is what makes her even more special than she already was. Her heart mirrors your heart. She is a true lover, not selfish at all, and not afraid to give herself to others. If my kids have half that heart I will consider myself very blessed. 

To the rest of you, who have taught me so much. Especially you, Paula Z. I love you all more than anything. You have made me a much better person and I thank you.

This ends our Sunday evening ramblings. God Bless you one and all.

2 comments:

Natalie C. said...

Wendy, I had always been a lurker on your blog long before we met a year ago. I admired how hard you were fighting for your kids.

You took the words right out of my mouth. You are right, it is a sisterhood you feel and a connection you feel instantly. I love the times we are able to get together. I feel so at home around a few selected people and you are definetly one of them.

Friends are like angels, you may not always see them, but they are always there.

Anonymous said...

Wendy

I feel just as blessed to have you as a friend , that I know will last a lifetime .

I love you , and thank you for sharing the reality fairy with me and a shoulder to cry on from P.A. to Texas !!

Paula Z