Thursday, January 29, 2009

Doctor, Doctor


In the past month we have had to rush Levi to the ER 3 times. The first time was due to severe abdominal pain. They couldn't find the cause and he began to feel better after a number of hours so they sent us home. Then he had an asthma attack that sent us off to the ER again. Then this week, he again began to have severe abdominal pain, which led to vomiting and a low-grade fever. I called his pediatrician and they said to head straight to the ER. We were there 7 hours and they could not figure it out. They ruled out appendicitis and a blockage, but no idea what it was. (Urban Blonde, I know what you are thinking!)

So today we had a lengthy visit with his pediatrician. He has lost 10% of his body weight in the past month. There are quite a few things it could be so the plan is to begin testing and ruling in or out each possibility. They sent us for blood and urine and then we will be heading for other tests tomorrow. The poor lab tech looked at all the tests ordered and then told us that was a lot of blood for such a little guy. She said she would do her best but we might have to come back the next day to get it all. She had me hold him on my lap and she explained what she was going to do. He was tense but held very still. She got a good stick on the first try and managed to get it all. Yeah Lab Lady! Levi whimpered slightly but didn't cry. When she was done he informed both of us that he did not like that. Poor sweet boy! She thought he did such a great job that she gave him 6 stickers. 

Yesterday I took Ahren for his 3 year checkup. (Soon we won't have the same insurance so I needed to get everything taken care of right away) They weighed and measured him, and then measured him again. He has grown over 2 inches since October! He hasn't gained any weight, though. He went from the 50th percentile for height to the 80th, and from the 80th for weight down to the 50th. She was absolutely amazed at his speech, too. He is still behind a bit in gross motor skills and she also is referring us to a pediatric neurologist for some muscle weakness issues. The kicker was when she looked in his ears and he had a double ear infection. I didn't have a clue! No fever, no crankiness, no pulling on his ears, nothing. What the heck? We both got a laugh out of that! We are also going to take him to see a pediatric ophthalmologist. She saw something 'off' in his right eye and she wants us to get it checked out. 

9 comments:

Marlene said...

What a sight :( . Poor little guy! I am sure you are a wreck over this! I hope he gets better soon.
Marlene

Angie said...

Poor Levi. Please keep us posted if they figure it out.

Krystal said...

Oh, sweet little Levi! I am so sorry that he is feeling bad, but he is such a brave boy for getting his blood taken like that! I hope they figure things out quickly and get him back to feeling 100%.

Marisa said...

Make sure they check for a wheat allergy. I hope you figure it out - sick kids are so stressful. I am a total stranger to you if you don't recoginize my name. I found your blog through a link on another site and check it out every once in a while because I have adopted 4 kids from Guatemala. I'm praying that I will some day open it up and find out that you get to bring PBJ home.

Natalie C. said...

Poor baby, I hope they figure it out soon.

Anonymous said...

You are such an awesome mommy! I am praying for Levi. What a sweet little guy he is. I am praying for our "not so little" Ahren as well. While I am at it, I will pray for my dear Sis as well.
Love you so!!!

Kim said...

Poor Levi - I'll be praying. Isn't it cool, though, how God works. I'm sure it's stressful to be out of work, but this gives you the time to mommy this sweetheart. Hugs to you and your family.

URBAN BLONDE said...

OMG! I about died when I saw the pic of Levi! I haven't been doing too much blog hopping the last week.

I truly hope you get some definitive answers soon and won't be in for the long haul (like we were). T had the low grade fever almost daily. (usually around 99-100)
You may hear that catch-all phrase "IBS" along the way. We call that one the "It's Bull Sh*t" diagnosis usually made when they can't figure it out!

Loads of positive thoughts sent your way.

(just had to tell you the word verification! itlevis! LOL)

Laurie said...

Poor little guy. Hope you find answers for him real soon. My daughter from Guatemala has an eye issue too. We are headed to Children's Hospital to a pediatric eye doctor next week.