Monday, January 12, 2009

Ahren turns 3

Last Wednesday was Ahren's 3rd birthday, but the first one we could celebrate with him. Since he has come home he has celebrated halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas (over multiple days) and now his birthday. We felt that all of this might be a bit overwhelming (he didn't seem to think so) so we planned on a very low-key birthday celebration. The day of his birthday I picked up a cake and some balloons and headed home to celebrate with the other kids. We sang, blew out the candles and opened some small gifts. We ate cake and ice cream and had a good time. 

Here is Ahren showing us his tongue for some reason. I think he wanted us to see the ice cream? Shoot, I don't know really why he stuck his tongue out but I got it on film!

Enjoying cake and ice cream while playing with the cake topper - Superman. I wanted to get a Spiderman cake (his favorite) but all of the icing was dark blue and red and have you seen how that stuff stains? I opted for a less-staining superhero and he was happy.

Opening presents. After Christmas he has this skill down pat. 

He surprised me and knew how to blow out the candles! My boy is a genius!!! 
Right about the time the other little ones Mommies were picking them up, Levi began saying his stomach hurt. he was sort of laying around listlessly and Nanny thought he was upset that Ahren got all the attention. I know him better than that and he would never mind Ahren getting attention. Sure enough he began vomiting soon after and then started screaming in pain. When I asked him where it hurt, he pointed to just below and to the right of his belly button. He also began to spike a fever. Oh no, classic appendicitis symptoms. So for Ahren's birthday we spent the night in the ER. Luckily it didn't turn out to be so bad and we got to go home. It might have been his appendix acting up or gastroenteritis, but he got better. 

We rescheduled the rest of Ahren's birthday for the weekend. I will post about that later.

Here is a sweater I knit for baby Holly. It took me about 2 days to knit and uses 4 different yarns. It was really easy to knit and is from Lion Brand. 



13 comments:

Bobbi said...

Poor Levi!! Hope he is feeling better. And, you are right, he is too good of a big brother for that

Happy Birthday, Ahren. This is a pretty special one for you all

URBAN BLONDE said...

Happy Birthday Ahren! Looks like he enjoyed himself! And I love the little sweater you knit! I so wish I could knit.

Blondie
PS Poor poor Levi! Belly button pain is classic Celiac pain!
Has Levi ever had any bloodwork testing for that? I only ask because Levi reminds me so much of my son when he was little in colouring (and behaviour but that's a whole other story!). We went through many years of belly button pain starting around the age of 4, he was finally diagnosed just before he turned 11. (in fact both my daughter and myself are also Celiac's found through bloodwork after he was diagnosed, we had little to no symptoms.)
Anyway hope it was just a little flu and he's on the mend! Feel free to email me if you would like some info on Celiac! urbanblonde at hotmail com

Vanessa said...

Happy Belated birthday Ahren!!
I hope Levi is feeling better!!

Anonymous said...

Poor Levi!! I am glad he is better. Poor Mommy spending the night at the ER...
Happy Birthday Ahren. This has got to be one of the best birthday bashes ever for you, even if it was low key and semi-post-poned. Just to have him home and to celebrate with him!!! It brings tears to my eyes. Now that he is used to getting presents or candy every month, what are you planning for the rest of the year?
Love You!
P.S. You knit beautifully!

Tracy said...

yet another thing we have in common. yarn. That little sweater is adorable!! good job. I'm glad Levi is feeling better.

Ellie said...

Happy Birthday Sweet Boy...

Super Hero...

Lil Bro...

uh... Mr. Curly! Still love the curls!

HUGS
Ellie

Gina said...

Happy, happy, happy birthday Ahren! We are so happy you were able to celebrate at home with your family.

Get well soon Levi :o)

BTW: Love the adorable sweater!

Julie said...

Happy Birthday Ahren!! :)

Ellie said...

Uh.... Hello... He turned 3 last week...

More Pictures Please~

Miss you guys

Hugs
Ellie

Ellie said...

OH... and Put Angelena on you list for a sweater...

HUGS

One Busy Momma said...

Happy Birthday Ahren!!!!!!

Ginger--Maya's mommy said...

Happy Birthday Ahren. Doesnt look like he is having any problems with all the celebrations.


Poor Levi. Hope he feels better soon.

Anonymous said...

Why was I not informed about Levi!!!?!?!?!!!!?
That makes me mad.

-Ashley.