Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Colorblind

Someone mentioned something the other day that really caught me by surprise. They mentioned how white Ahren is and that he doesn't look hispanic. It suddenly dawned on me that people consider Ahren and PBJ's adoptions to be transracial. I never, ever thought of it that way. Maybe it's becasue we live in Texas and a majority of the population is of hispanic heritage, or maybe it's because I was raised to see the person not the skin color. When I look at pictures of kids from Guatemala, I see beautiful children. When I look at Ahren and PBJ, I see MY beautiful children. Now don't get me wrong, I realize there are differences between my kids, but the differences go way beyond skin color of birth country. Here is my list of the ways in which my kids are alike/different:

Blue eyes: Levi and Katie
Brown eyes: Ashley, Ahren and PBJ
Blonde hair: Levi and katie
Brown hair: Ashley Ahren and PBJ
Stocky build: Ashley and Ahren
Slim build: Katie and Levi (don't know about PBJ yet)
Girls: Katie, Ashley and PBJ
Boys: Levi and Ahren
Have CN as their dad: Ashley and Katie
Have my hubby Chris as their Dad: Levi, Ahren and PBJ
Born in Arizona: Katie and Ashley
Born in Texas: Levi
Born in Guatemala: Ahren and PBJ
Curly hair: Katie and Ahren, plus Levi is getting some curl now
Straight hair: Ashley and PBJ
Walked before 1 yr old: Levi and Katie
Walked after 1 yr old: Ashley and Ahren

Here is something funny. Ashley is darker skinned than Ahren. She has the most beautiful skin that tans without burning. One day in the sun and she has tan lines. Even as a little tiny girl, she was a little brown nut in the summer. Her skin is absolutely gorgeous. She looks absolutely nothing like me, but she is the spitting image of my mother, personality and all. I remember someone asking me if my girls had different fathers and if they were really sisters. They have the exact same genetic contribution, same father, same mother, same everything and yet so different. Katie and Levi look incredibly alike and yet they have different fathers.


So are we going to be a trans-racial family? Honestly, would it make a difference if we had that label? Love is not a color. Love is not a race. We will be a family. Plain and simple. A family with things in common and with uniqueness for each individual. Each one of us will be an individual and part of the whole. We will revel in the boring, averageness of our familydom. The craziness of raising 5 kids will be no different except we might just appreciate it more.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You hit it on the head with this post! You could not be more right. Even I can't get myself to decide if MJJ looks more my "race" than Hubby's. You go, girl! I love that outlook of yours!

Krystal said...

Sometimes people do catch you off-guard with how they "see" things. I've had more than one person ask me if we "asked for a lighter baby" or "how we got such a light-skinned baby". . . what does that mean? We also get lots of comments that Brayden looks more Asian than Guatemalan -- again, I don't know what that means or why it is important to people. I do think about how differnt my children will look though (Brayden, Parker, and the future kiddos), and I can't think of anything more beautiful!!!

Ellie said...

COLOR IS BLIND...

LOVE IS BLIND...

SMALL MINDS ANT NOT BLIND...

As we put it, our family is a Rainbow... I wouldn't change any of them for the world....

LOVE YOUR POST!

Suzanne said...

I've always thought it better to be color-thoughtful than color-blind. Color-thoughtful does not categorize based on color, nor comment rudely upon color, nor do anything else that would/could make someone uncomfortable.

Color thoughtful does, however, acknowledge some of the very really racial differences when it needed and/or appropriate.

My two bits.

Rod said...

Please visit our community about 13 year old Alex from Ethiopia.

Visit Alex web site today and discover the true, heart warming story of faith and prayers. Read how this young Ethiopian street child is being rescued from a certain death on the streets of Addis Ababa. DISCOVER THE REAL LIFE STORY OF HOPE AND SUCCESS FOR ALEX Link to us today and follow the progress as Alex adjusts to the safe world in Europe where he will hopefully soon get a good education and health. http://alex-roadtofreedom.blogspot.com

Suzanne said...

Just wanted to let you know that the Adoption BlogPost RoundUp round-up is up!