Monday, July 24, 2006

Land and blood thirsty beasts

We have land! No more Crazy Divorce Lady to try and deal with (see earlier posts on the saga to buy one piece of property) We did it! Chris found the listing last Thursday, so we went and drove by. Looked good, so we had the builder look at it on Friday. He gave it two thumbs up, so we made an offer Saturday and signed the deal last night. It's 5.6 acres total, end of a cul de sac up a small hill, mostly cleared, high and dry and gorgeous! It is only 3.1 miles farther than our current home, all the same schools, shopping, friends, etc. We should close the construction loan in about 30 days, and be ready to break ground.
Now the down side to land. We went and hiked around on it yesterday evening. The grass is pretty tall, and I carried Levi off and on. On the way home, I went to scratch my chest, just under my chin, and I felt something. Something squiggly. I tried to brush it off, but it was stuck. I felt the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I began screaming at Chris to tell me if it was a tick, but he didn't have his glasses on and couldn't tell. So, I looked in the mirror. Fat, black little blood sucking bugger with little legs sticking out all over. And he was really stuck in there! I began to breathe fast. I had to make it home (a whole 3.1 miles, remember) with this vermin sucking my blood. I felt faint, dizzy, queasy. Chris tried to get me involved in conversation, but all I could focus on was this thing with it's head buried in my skin.
Once we got home I was able to remove it pretty easily once I could see it in the mirror, and so far I haven't dropped dead, so I must be OK. Chris' idea of helping? Suggesting we name the land Tick Acres. Gee, thanks hon.

No comments: