Sunday, September 13, 2009

Washed Out Weekend

Oh what plans I had. A get-together with good friends and lots of kids at the beach house. One last hurrah of summer, complete with surf, sand and sun. I should have known it wouldn't work out when I realized I had planned it for the one year anniversary of Hurricane Ike devastating the island. 

Over the past couple of weeks I have bought additional life jackets for small munchkins, carefully planned food menus that included gluten-free and lactose intolerant dietary needs. I bought  food, decorations and what not. I planned how to transport people from the beach to the house to the pool, etc. My family all had assigned jobs. We were ready.

For NOTHING. A huge storm front moved in and Saturday was a mess. We had to cancel. I am so sad. This is all I was looking forward to for weeks. I wanted so badly to show my friends a good time and enjoy them and their families having fun. 

We ended up going down there Saturday morning. Chris had a job he had to visit on the island so at least he had to be there. We also had some little projects we needed to do and a whole van-load of party supplies to deliver. So off we went. In the rain. We ended up visiting moody Gardens to keep us all from going insane stuck in the house. It was...um...OK. Sunday morning dawned clear and sunny. We headed out on the jet skis to do some tubing and immediately ran into trouble with one jet ski. We had to tow it back to our dock and call for the dealer to pick it up. So today I did laundry, dishes, bathed small smelly children who had jumped in the canal and made beds. Woo-hoo I am living in the fast lane. 

So this was the weekend that wasn't. High expectations and low returns. I think I will go to bed now. Sigh.....

2 comments:

Reba said...

I am sorry the weekend was a wash. :(

Ellie said...

But at least you could have taken some pictures of your cuties... I miss them!

Hugs
Ellie