Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Ahren update

We spent a good hour talking to the doctor and examining Ahren this morning. He took a very detailed history and asked many, many questions. I love this doctor, we never feel rushed and he is so good with kids. Here is what we came up with:

1) His overall muscle tone is low but low/normal. It is the same all over his body, not weaker in any one spot. 

2) He has made tremendous progress in this year. Absolutely amazing progress.

3) Although his muscle tone is acceptable now, his coordination and balance are not. While we were talking he did one of his typical keel-over moves. He was only turning around while standing and he lost his balance and fell. He was able to catch himself with his hands and avoid hitting his head, so his reflexes are good. 

4) The doctor feels that it is not a muscle issue, but maybe a brain issue. Not like CP where parts of the body are affected, something more global. 

5) We have a referral to a Pediatric Neurologist for a full work-up. MRI, EEG, blood work, and some other neuro mumbo-jumbo. 

6) The doctor agreed with me that there seems to be 'something' not right. Not horribly wrong but just off. It felt good to be validated for my worries. Nanny agrees with me but Chris doesn't see it. That is so frustrating. I figure if all I find out is that he is just quirky but fine, then I have bought myself peace of mind. 

And Ahren? He has declared that he wants a Baby Brudder. That's all he talks about. Hmmm....

4 comments:

Phyllis said...

Glad the doctor agreed with you and is sending you for further follow up. Will be praying for good news.
Phyllis

Vanessa said...

Praying for you guys and that God gives the doctors the knowledge to fnd out what's going on! I think he deserves a baby budder:)

Ellie said...

Good to hear some of the out come... Let me know how it goes with the Neuro. Angelena goes back to the Neuro in 3 weeks. Lots going on, appointment yesterday was a bit crazy, but some things to try... I will email you later with everything, or maybe call... If I get a chance... Hugs and Miss you

E

Dana said...

I have been thinking of you and praying for Ahren.
Love You!