Friday, July 06, 2007

I feel so guilty!

I would like to think that I am a nice person. That I genuinely care about others and give selflessly of myself at all times. But the truth is I harbor a secret hatred of those who are having an easy time adopting. Some of them deserve a little loathing as they crow about their perfect agencies and fantastic timelines, but others started out the same way we did. With a simple wish to bring a child into their families. As luck would have it they breezed through without many of the pitfalls most of us face. because believe me, whether it is domestic or international, Guatemala or China, there are pitfalls and delays and roadblocks aplenty!

I was reading the Guatemala adopt.com forumn (which I keep vowing to never look at again because it upsets me too much) and I saw a woman announcing they are out of PGN and their baby is only 4 months old. Umm, is that right? Can that be? Why??? Why her and not me? Why that baby and not mine? Did we do something wrong? Is there a secret no one has told me? Are they more deserving than us? I feel so guilty for hating them just because they are blessed. I want to kick something. I want to slap someone. I want to be angry at the whole world.

There are times I wish I had never thought about adoption. That I had been satisfied with my three wonderful children, loving husband and beautiful life. I wish I didn't have this void inside of me that I thought needed to be filled by another child or two. Instead the void is now full of worry and stress, tears and pain, endless paperwork and sleepless nights. And yet, I cannot imagine things any differently. This is my path. My long and winding road. My steps falter but they won't stop. Each step brings me closer to my babies. Left, right, left, right....

6 comments:

Ellie said...

I completely understand how you feel... But remember this... Not all attonerys are above the board... Some are crooks.... And some are liars... so, how true do you really thing that is???

Just as thought!

Tam said...

I understand what you're feeling. I went in to PGN vowing that I would try not to become...bitter...when I see quick OUTs. Eight weeks later (and I know this isn't bad, yet) I fight the battle every time I see one that was IN and OUT in 2 weeks (or so). Ya know, now that I'm on a roll, I may just do my own post on my blog so I can vent a little...

Ginger--Maya's mommy said...

Girl, I feel the same way. Especially right now. It is so hard for me to be happy for all of the people having smoothe processess. I am happy for them but I am very bitter at times. This entire process is soooo unfair. I agree with Ellie about crooks and liars!!! I have the biggest crook and liar of the bunch. Wendy, we will get our babies home. When we do we will get together and have a HUGE party.

Elle said...

Oh don't feel guilty sistah. It kills me those who wait for 4-6 weeks between trips in Russia and bitch the whole time. They should try over a year. Then we'll talk.

Melissa said...

Well said! I find myself coveting others' timelines and feeling resentful of the pain, unpredictability, and expense (emotional and financial) of the whole process.

Gail said...

I just found your blog. Your chilren are beautiful. Good luck on the adoption. Can I add you to the list on my blog?
Gail
adopting Johanna Faith