Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Better living through pharmaceuticals

I have spent the last 20 years of my life working on making better drugs to treat diseases. Cancer. Lung disease. Atherosclerosis. Muscular atrophy. Diabetes. And many others. And yet, I am not the kind of person who turns to a pill as a first defense.

In addition to my research past, I am now working with a lot of kids who have myriad diagnoses. Their visual issues are clouded by many other issues. We can help clear one part of their troubles, but not all of them. We see the big picture. The total package. We peel away one layer, but more remain.

My dear little Seth has some issues. Are they attachment related? Maybe. Are they inherant to his personality? Maybe. Are they ADHD related. Maybe. How do we sort it out???? We have been doing behavior therapy for a while and it has helped some. But Seth seems out of control, unable to moderate many things, and very unhappy because of that.

So today he started meds for ADHD. Very low dose. Just a small trial. And you know what? He sat on the couch and watched movies today, for the first time ever. Normally he would have interrupted the movie 20 times, bounced on the couches, spun around the room and talked non-stop. Today he watched and understood. WTH? My sweet boy watched and sat still? It didn't last all day. By afternoon he was again out of control, but still......that is AMAZING. I have such hope.

He wants so badly to be good. He says it all the time. 'Am I good, Mommy?' And I always tell him YES. you are the BEST Seth ever and I love you soo much.

I love this little guy so much. The more he needs me, the more I am there. Four homes in four years. A family that didnt work. My poor baby. He needs us as much as we need him. I love him so much.

No comments: