Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Scalded Monkey

Last week there was one evening when I was puttering through my usual nightime routine. Dinner was over and dishes stowed in the washer, counters wiped, etc etc and I was running the bath for Levi. (OK, does anyone know why little boys stink so badly or can get so absolutely sweaty and grimy????) He took one look at the tub and began to scream like a scalded monkey. I added bubbles, he continued to scream. I added toys. He screamed. I added colored bath fizzies and he screamed some more. So I thought the new gigantic tub in the master bathroom must just be too big and I switched to the bathtub in his bathroom. More screaming. I suggested a shower. Screaming. I ended up standing him in the tub, scrubbing as quick as I could and rinsing him off, now partially deaf in one ear from the screams. This all coming from a kid who is part fish and I have to cajole to get OUT of the tub normally.

The next day I mention to Nanny that Levi just did not want to take a bath the night before, and she looks a bit sheepish. She had him playing in the master bathtub the day before (with all the rain she has had to become quite inventive in ways to keep the little ones occupied) She was curious about the jacuzzi and hit the button. The water wasn't over the level of the jets so the thing roared like a wild animal and shot jets of water directly at his head. Poor kid flew out of the tub in terror and wrapped himself around her neck.

So now we know why the sudden fear of the tub. And shower. I even tried the kitchen sink. So now what? I don't want to further terrorize him, but he has to be de-stinkified somehow. If it would quit raining I would get a wading pool, soap him up and throw him in there to play. But no, it rains and rains and rains. I can't spray him with Febreeze (can I???) Just kidding! Last night I ended up standing him naked in the kitchen and washing him down with a washcloth while he stood on a towel. I couldn't really do his hair, but the rest of him came out pretty good (remember, a day at camp plus 2 wet pants episodes. He needed to be washed in the worst way) If anyone has any brilliant ideas, hit me with them. This could turn into a desperate situation very quickly....

4 comments:

Ginger--Maya's mommy said...

Maybe a pool???

Hawk said...

Perhaps fill the master tub up over the jet level and show him what the jets do normally? It could be quite fun to put your hand over the jets, and witout the horrible noise, it wouldn't be scary.

Otherwise.. soap him up and let him out in the back yard in the rain... it's... Nature's shower! lol.

Melany aka Supermom said...

mmm...poor boy! I hope he gets over his fear quickly. I too think that filling up the tub and showing him with lots of bubbles that it is actually fun..maybe he will change his mind..get him some new bath toys to play with while he is in the bath too

Yeah So said...

Ooof. I know this day is coming for us because we put our guy in his little tub sitting inside our master tub. And so far we've been successful in preventing him from hitting that button, but I'm sure someday soon he'll be too quick for us.

And I don't know why boys are so stinky either! Yick!