Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Almost there....

We officially (we being us and the bank) own our new house. It's not entirely finished, but it's down to the teensy tiny details. And yes, we have it in writing to finish those. Our closing was yesterday at 4pm, and as usual I got lost getting there. Why in the world are no roads straight in Houston? Geez. I made it about 15 minutes late and we proceeded to sign our lives away. The builder, who was suposed to be there, never showed. I guess he didn't want to see us. He must have snuck in after we left and signed his part. That just made me laugh. I guess we really did beat him up pretty badly! Supposedly he gives his new homeowners a very nice gift at closing. I don't suppose we will be getting any gifts. Hah!!!

We close on the old house Monday afternoon. We are in good shape getting the repairs completed (they didn't ask for many but we only had 2 weeks) Termite treatment:done Plumber:done Fire door:done Roofer:scheduled for today We are in good shape. Packing is progressing. It seems like the more stuff I cram into boxes, the more stuff we have. It is growing behind my back. Katie was supposed to pack up her room before she left for camp. What she did was to throw everything she didn't want into the hallway outside her room, then shove all her clothes into two huge boxes. Her shoes, bedding, desk, etc are all still spread all over the place. I am going to spend this evening trying to tame the beast that is her room. If you don't hear form me soon, send a search party. I may be trapped in there.....

Levi is definitely affected by the move. He isn't sleeping well and isn't eating. He is crabby which is very unusual for him. We keep explaining how the move works, but he seems to think we are moving and leaving him behind. We have shown him his new room, explained that all of his things will move with him and that we will all be living in the new house, but he is having a hard time with it. I think Friday will be really hard for him because Nanny is going to watch him at Mina's house for the day. He will be in a strange place and then not come home to the home he has always known. All we can do is keep reassuring him and showing him what will happen. There may have to be a couple of 'special' new toys as a welcome gift at the new house, too. The power of toys should not be discounted. Think like a 3-year old. "Wow, this house comes with cool new toys. I like it here". Then again it may just take a couple of weeks to settle in. That's OK. We can handle it. *Famous last words......

3 comments:

Ginger--Maya's mommy said...

WOHOOOOOO, one more thing out of the way. Now we need to get those babies home.

Tam said...

Glad that the closings are done, but I despise moving! Good luck and I hope everything goes smoothly!

Elle said...

Yeah new house! I want a new house. Or at least my current house to be bigger.