Monday, October 12, 2009

Another day older and deeper in debt...

Or so the old song goes.

As some of you noted, this weekend was also my birthday. I am now at the age where birthdays are pretty uneventful, non-celebration sorts of things. At least that's how I feel. My sweet family, on the other hand, decided to wow me.

Chris and the boys (um, mostly Chris) baked me a double fudge cake with fudge icing. I had to restrain myself from diving face first into it! It was decadent and fudgey and exactly what my hurting soul and heart needed. 

They took me out to dinner at a nice steak house where I had some of all my faves, and ate it all! For one day I could throw the diet out the window, right? I mean, my body could only absorb so much fat and calories in one sitting.....

I got to take a long, lavender scented bath while reading a trashy gossip magazine. I was able to shave my legs without hacking off any pieces of flesh. I even got to moisturize. Unheard of around these parts!!! I am the 4-minute shower champ. Pampering is not in my routine. 

I got to watch the shows I had on the DVR, catching up on everything!

Then came the presents. I got the Iron Chef game for the DS. Now I have to fight Ahren for time on the game system. I got a new cookbook and a large stainless steel spice rack, with spices! My hubby knows me so well. But my favorite gift, the gift that shows how much my husband really knows me? He got me a portable hard drive. A sexy little black and red system to back up all my writing and photos off our main computer. A couple of years ago our old computer died and took all my personal stuff with it. The Geek squad could not recover my things and I was heartbroken. Now that will never happen again. 

My family spoiled me!!!

I almost forgot to add the strangest thing that happened. When we were leaving the restaurant I was holding Ahren's hand and trying to steer him out between the tables. In typical Ahren fashion, he tripped, almost keeled over, I pulled him up and then he fell over the other way. I was half dragging him by the arm when a really old man at the table we were passing said, "Oh my goodness, it's a feral child". I turned and saw the look on his wife's face and started to laugh! I couldn't even get mad because she looked like she was about to come across the table and tear him a new one. She was MORTIFIED! I know I should have gotten mad and maybe said something, but he was such a really old man and they just say the darndest things, and well, Ahren with his mop of wild curls and bumbling walk did indeed look a little feral. So I shrugged it off and just laughed. I guess it was a good thing I was having such a great day!

7 comments:

Leah Maya Benjamin said...

Feral child, that is so so so funny. That is one I have never heard but i'm still chuckling.
Happy Birthday!

Diana said...

Apparently he hasn't been around too many feral children. Feral children don't hold your hand. They cower in a corner and hiss...and rock, and scream, and bite.

Shortly after we got home I had my little guy at Wally's World and he was less than pleased to be there. Way too overstimulating of a place for him and he was throwing what was much closer to a feral child fit than what you just describe happened with Ahren. Some old geezer came up to me and said "why don't you beat that kid for acting like that?" I wasn't in such a good place at the time and I shot back with a very stern "Why don't you pull your head out of your behind and realize that my son is acting the way he is BECAUSE idiots like you HAVE beat him." And then I stormed off with my screaming, biting, kicking son. The guy just stood there with his jaw on the floor and mumbled something to the other people in the pharmacy line...who likewise didn't appear to appreciate his comments.

Mina said...

Belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Miss Wendeeee!

Dana said...

Happy Birthday Sis. I wish I could be there with you.
Happy Birthday Peri Brynn.
Love You!

The Accidental Mommy said...

Happy birthday to you and Peri Brynn!
I am in awe of your moisturizing. Seriously.

Nora Glenys said...

If the Geek Squad can't do it send it to Drive Savers in Califoria. They can fix anything.

Happy Birthday!

Reba said...

Happy birthday (late)...sounds like a wonderful day! I love "spoil me" days which are few and far between for me...