Wednesday, November 15, 2006

The Reality Fairy



First, here is a random picture for you of Super Levi, the Wonder Boy. Cool goggles in bright orange give you super powers. Didn't you know that?

A good friend of mine introduced me to the Reality Fairy. Just when you are painting a rosy picture in your head, the Reality Fairy comes along and smacks you upside the head so hard your teeth rattle. The Reality Fairy is the one who notifies you that your child will NOT be home for Christmas, who lets you know that they did NOT break ground on your house, that they can NOT find your file in PGN. I hate the Reality Fairy. I know, hat eis such a strong word. How about loathe? Despise? Detest?

Yesterday the Reality Fairy hit me in a totally different way. When I got home there was a lot of commotion on our street. Being the nosy nelly that I am, I went out to talk to the neighbors to see what was up. Apparently the Sheriff's office was evicting some of our neighbors from their house. These are people I know, people whose kids play with my kids, who go to the same teacher conferences and cheerleading competitions. Good neighbors. So the Sheriff had gone to the door and knocked and the Dad comes to the door. 'Can I help you' he says nicely. The Sheriff knew right then this guy didn't have a clue what was happening. Sure enough, the wife had kept it all secret from him. How did this happen? Drugs. It started with her wanting to lose some weight. Needing a little something extra for energy. That sort of thing. Now they have no home, most of their posessions are in a police storage unit, the kids are traumatized, no telling what will happen to their marriage. These are good people. Kind people. Well mannered kids. These things don't happen in my neighborhood, do they? To people I know and like? My head hurts from the force the Reality Fairy put behind this punch.

No comments: