Monday, June 20, 2011

I speak in a foreign tongue

  I am cleaning house today. This is especially interesting with three small boys and one of their friends here for a play date, but I am getting it done. I get ready to mop the kitchen tile and announce to the boys 'Do Not come in the kitchen, I am mopping the floors'.

  One small boy, instead, hears "Come in the kitchen because i am doing something really cool and you do NOT want to miss this."

  I begin mopping, get about halfway done, turn to rinse out the mop and hear SPLAT behind me. The kind of loud splat that bare skin hitting wet tile makes. I turn to find small boy flat on his back on the floor.I do not help him up.

  Instead, I ask him, 'Why do you think I ask you not to come in here while I am mopping?' He says he didn't know the floor was wet. I ask again, he talks about what he saw on TV. I ask again, he hems and haws. Finally he says it's because he will fall down. Ya Think? I tell him that I am the Mom and here to take care of him and keep him from being hurt. I say these things to protect him, not to be mean. He looks like a deer in the headlights.  I hope his backside stings for a little bit so maybe it will sink in, but i doubt it.

1 comment:

Reba said...

The joys of motherhood. We have that same foreign tongue issue at our house...My other favorite is that no matter what, after our floor is mopped, someone drops something. Something sticky and messy. I don't think it is intentional but it never fails to happen.