Thursday, June 29, 2006




We had a pretty exciting evening on June 16th. First, it was Katie's birthday, plus Ashley was in a play at church that night. When I got home from work at 5:30 I was expecting to round up everyone and head to the church for the play. Instead, I walked in to Levi vomiting continously. I made arrangements for Ashley to go with another family, sent Katie to sleep at a friend's house and started trying to get fluids into Levi. By 6:30 when Chris walked in the door we knew we had one sick little boy on our hands. At 7 pm I was on the phone with the nurse from the pediatrician's office when Levi's eyes rolled back in his head and he went completely limp. The nurse told us to call 911 immediately. Levi was barely breathing and completely unresponsive. The ambulance and EMS arrived and got an IV going. He roused up a bit then but was very lethargic and pretty much out of it. They transported him to St. Luke's where we got excellent care. They pushed fluids in very quickly, got anti-emetic meds into his IV and kept a close eye on him. By 1 am they were processing his admittance paperwork and I sent Chris home to get some badly needed sleep. Sometime during the night the diahrrea and fever kicked in, but I am a little foggy on the details.

For the next 4 days Levi was in the hospital on IV's, fighting this nasty virus. Ashley began vomiting Saturday morning, Chris got it that night. Katie stayed at her friends and managed to avoid it, but everyone else who came in contact with Levi got it. I really didn't though. I think I was just too stubborn to give in. I was needed to take care of my babies and that was all there was! Levi came home on Tuesday evening, but was still pretty sick. We had to watch him closely for the next couple of days. By Thursday he had lost 1 1/2 pounds and was getting dehydrated again. If he lost any more by Friday he was going to be put back in the hospital. Luckily, he turned the corner and by Friday began to drink and eat a little. Whew!

No comments: