Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Fallout

I only have a little bit to post so will make it short and sweet. The kids did amazingly while I was away. Everything went smoothly for Daddy. The first 4 days I was back, things also went well. There was some extra clingy-ness and insecurity but I thought we were dealing well. Then by Friday it began. Not nearly as intense as times in the past, but lots and lots of tears. Crying because he got water to drink, crying because a brother might take his toy, crying because I was eating my breakfast and didn't jump up and get him clothes that second. Long, sobbing, moaning, crying jags where the hurt just poured out of him. That's my little RADish, a deep well of hurt and sadness and a hole so large no amount of love can fill it back up. We talked, we hugged, we rocked, we talked more. It lasted 4 days and now he is back to a happy, sunny, still annoying child!

I am leaving again for 10 days at the end of the month. We will talk, talk, talk about it, try and set him up for success and deal with the fallout afterwards. Each time he has to work his way through an anxiety ridden situation like this, he gets a little stronger, a little calmer, and a little more trusting. I have high hopes for my boy!

2 comments:

The Accidental Mommy said...

Sounds good! Glad to hear the fallout came and WENT. I just got back from a trip and genea is a bundle of love. I am hopeful it will last however historically never has. Once she realizes she had a near miss with abandonment (in her eyes) she will be on the rocket again.

Reba said...

I wondered how the separation had affected the kids, especially that one. Glad things are back on track. Sounds like there is growth...and in the world of RAD, you have to celebrate it step by step!